Review: Red Lust


Red Lust
Red Lust by Sindra van Yssel

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



The Romance Review

Are you a submissive or do you just want to play a bit? Stella isn't new to BDSM yet in some ways she appears new. Others have accused her of being a painslut, and not in a good way. Stella is a doctor of physical therapy who enjoys impact play, specifically flogging. Le Petit Mort is the local BDSM club where Stella enjoys bottoming. She rarely repeats with Dom/mes because she doesn't enjoy the submission part.

Stella is interesting to me. Not everyone has to be a submissive to enjoy impact play. I like how Ms. van Yssel shows a different side of BDSM with just the SM side of it. It does start out with SM focus and morphs into a D/s relationship. This doesn't always happen like this, but when it does, it is so satisfying.

Evan is new to town. He is a Dom with friends at Le Petit Mort. He's not actively looking, but if he finds a submissive, he is willing to play. He finds Stella aka Starlight to be of interest. His pursuit amusingly causes the strong willed doctor to shy away in stutters. Personally, I find a strong Dominant sometimes has the same effect on me.

I enjoyed this story because once again Ms. van Yssel demonstrates the realities of BDSM. Just because it's a group of BDSM people doesn't mean that everyone gets along and there are no petty swipes. I also appreciated the introduction of kink friendly professionals. Ms. van Yssel doesn't go into length about what kink friendly means; she shows it in a way that the reader can pick it up quickly. There are professionals - specifically doctors, lawyers and law enforcement agents who are known in the BDSM community as kink friendly. They do not advertise, but when a BDSM situation occurs and requires BDSM knowledge, it's always preferable for a kink friendly person handling the situation.

Ms. van Yssel's contemporary romance is sweet. I enjoyed the journey she guides us through Starlight's eyes. While I could understand some of Starlight's dilemma, I couldn't empathize. Some of Starlight's internal struggles with submission just didn't work for me. It felt as though she argued semantics with herself constantly. I do understand that this is a conflict some strong independent women deal with when they want to submit yet find that it may be "wrong". I guess since my struggle with this concept happened well over a decade ago, I barely remember it.

I recommend this book for new to BDSM readers. It provides great insight on the difference between a SM and D/s relationship. It also shows how one can have both. Who doesn't want to have their cake and eat it too?



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chemical Play

Sensual Stapling

Sensual Sadist