Review: A Kiss at Midnight


A Kiss at Midnight
A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This was a book several people mentioned as an awesome book. 4 or 5 star material is what I was told. One of my favourite authors [a:Ilona Andrews|21748|Ilona Andrews|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1219436898p2/21748.jpg] loves this author too. I'd like to state that there is NOTHING wrong with this author. She just doesn't tickle my fancy. This story was well written with a plot, intrigue, character development and humour. I just didn't understand the rave reviews.

This is a fairy tale retold. Basically this is Cinderella in a historical romance. Miss Katheryn Daltry (call me Kate) is impersonating her step-sister, Victoria, while Victoria is ill. In order for the knocked up Victoria to marry her love - Algie, they need his maternal uncle's approval. They need to have Prince Gabriela approve of Victoria. There are so many holes in this subterfuge it's beyond ridiculous. Even Kate gets it. She points out all the issues. This tongue in cheek bait and switch just didn't work so well for me. It was okay, but really, what the hell?

I liked Kate. I like her as well as our hero, Gabriel. It's a sweet romance story with some zany relatives and a head over heals in love Gabriel. What I really want to learn more about was Wick. He's an interesting secondary character which I'd love to see a little story about. Unfortunately, Ms. James does nothing for me so I'm probably not going to read it. It would take effort to find if Wick has his own story and I'm just not motivated enough to care.

This funny historical romance is recommended to HR lovers who enjoy a witty heroine, love conquers all theme and most importantly, someone who enjoys the Animaniacs. There are way too many loony characters in here.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts