Review: Masters at Arms


Masters at Arms
Masters at Arms by Kallypso Masters

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars



What is all the hoopla about this author and this series? I keep hearing about this author and about her great her Doms. Will it live up to the hype? Actually, yes. This is a 3.5 star for me.

Not sure exactly what to expect, I read this first book. I really enjoy the introduction to the three main Doms - Marc, Adam and Orlando. Yes, I sticking to Orlando because I too immediately think of Orlando Bloom. This isn't exactly an anthology; it's more a set up background on each of these Doms and their possible submissives. What I've read, I really like. The reader is treated to different phases of these men's life. We are able to see them grow. To show a span of nine years across three different main characters in this manner is rather impressive. I enjoyed it.

What really impresses me about Ms. Masters is her character development. It's tough writing from a male's POV. I'm not a guy, but I have enough male traits that these men all rang true for me. Each of these men are lovingly built with life defining moments. Some of the moments are positive, most of them were rather depressing. It's not that they were negative, it's that they were harsh lessons in life or a hardship which determines if a male mans up or pussies out. In each case, her three men all manned up. This is not to say they are all perfect. They clearly are not. They are men readers can understand because it is a guy who could be a male friend, son, brother, father or lover. They aren't exactly "every day" men because they are tied by their military experience. Still, they are more readily understood because they aren't the super rich billionaires.

The military aspect was just right for me. It's enough detail to show Ms. Masters did her research, but not so much that the average romance reader glazes over. Since it's involving semi-current events, it also touches many who have family or friends in the military. This is a piece I truly enjoyed.

The BDSM in this book is almost non-existent. There is a little scene here and there. Since this book is a set up for the following books, it works for me. This book is recommended to kinky readers who want to take the plunge into BDSM.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts