BDSM Bedtime Stories Season Two Episode Twenty-Two ~ Lindsey Brooks

Joining us today is Lindsey Brooks from the lovely UK.  He's given us an exclusive preview of his new book, Mastering Miss Moorvale.  It's a delicious spanking story.  Listen to the audio excerpt narrated by yours truly.


La Crimson Femme:   I see you studied archeology and medieval history.  Have these two helped you with the stories you've written?

Lindsey Brooks: I believe they have, even with my fantasy and sci-fi stories, though you have probably noticed one thing I haven’t written is a medieval novel.  Maybe studying that period for so long put me off, but also the fact that the medieval frame of mind was so different to the modern one that a believable but still historically accurate story would be hard to produce convincingly.  I prefer times closer to our own, where beliefs and attitudes are similar enough to resonate with the reader, or fantasy, where the reader can happily suspend belief for the duration of the story.  Having said that, I like Regency romances, where the characters’ behaviour is frequently a bit far fetched from the angle of historical accuracy.  In fact, I even wrote one myself. ;)

Something else I discovered is that I feel more comfortable writing non-con stories that have some distance in time as well as place, a cushion between me and what takes place, if you like, and I think I would have more difficulty writing a contemporary story, where the action takes place in the here and now and could be happening just across town or down the street, or even next door.  It’s difficult to express quite how I feel, but I am more comfortable knowing that the events of the story happened then and not now, if you see what I mean.    

La Crimson Femme:   How did you get into writing non-con BDSM?  Out of all your books, which one is your favourite?

Lindsey Brooks: I have been writing stories since I was a child not very good ones back then, as I recall.  My interest in BDSM came along at pretty much the same time as my interest in the opposite sex but my writing stayed with mainstream themes, mainly historical, for a long time after that.  I was pretty spectacularly unsuccessful too, and I have the publishers’ rejection slips to prove it. ;) It wasn’t really until I stopped working, at the age of 51, that I had the leisure to devote to writing seriously and at that time I was more relaxed about my BDSM interest and felt I could include it in my stories.  The non-con aspect, I suppose, is just fantasy fulfillment on my part.  Even if I could get beyond the dubious morality and the fact it is highly illegal in the real world, it would be far too much hard work to ever try to practice it in reality.

I will admit to having a particular affection for my novel “Kerana – Slave of Atlantis”, as it was the first one that was accepted for publication, but my favourite book is always the one I am working on when I am asked that question.  I’m sure a lot of authors would give the same reply. 

La Crimson Femme:  How do you research your BDSM scenes?  Do you have a test bunny?

Lindsey Brooks: Well, no is the short answer to that last question.  Anyone who has read my stories will know they are almost entirely non-con and slavery tales, with mainly fantasy BDSM of the “don’t EVER try this at home” variety, unless, of course, someone has a particular desire for permanent scarring or wants to suffer the irreparable damage having 9,000 volts of electricity run through them would cause. ;)  So I definitely do not have a test bunny.  I have some experience of consensual BDSM of the “bedroom play” kind which I can draw upon, but the rest relies entirely on a vivid (some would say too vivid) imagination.  It is one of the great advantages of fiction that whatever happens to a character in a story does no harm in the real world.  When it comes to reality the only way is safe, sane and wholly consensual.  Anything else belongs only in the realms of fiction.    

La Crimson Femme:  With Goodreads, there is a lot more interaction between writer and reader.  What are some of the surprising revelations to you from fans?  Have they requested specific things from you?

Lindsey Brooks: After exploring the forums on Amazon I felt as if Goodreads was like a breath of fresh air when I found it and I have made several good friends in a number of the groups here, especially in this one.  What I admire most, and really hope never changes, is the honesty amongst the members and their willingness to speak their minds. 

Probably the most frequent request I have is for other stories set in the same fantasy world as “Kerana – Slave of Atlantis”.  I am working on another novel with that setting, slowly but, hopefully, surely, but while the last story was about an outlaw and thief this one is about a princess.

One amusing comment I received was a complaint that my spelling was “weird” and the patiently tolerant observation that it must be because I was brought up to write “British” English, which is quite true. ;)  I’m sorry to say that what seemed completely natural to me was enough to spoil the story for that particular reader. As George Bernard Shaw observed, the British and Americans are two peoples divided by a common language.
  
La Crimson Femme:  *Snort* British English…which is actually what most of the rest of the world uses when writing.  Having been raised by parents who learnt British English, needless to say, my spelling was a bit odd at primary school.  I brought my dictionary in to prove to the teacher.  Apparently, Longman’s Dictionary is not acceptable in Midwestern schools. 

What story are you working on now?  How do you get your inspiration?

Lindsey Brooks: I have gone back to my liking for Regencies with my current book but I have combined it with my BDSM interest as well, so it is a spanking tale from that period, with only a hint of non-con in the mix and quite a bit of romance too.  It is likely to seem very different from my previous BDSM stories.  As for inspiration, I wonder myself sometimes.  Ideas can spring up anywhere, just in my head or from something someone says, or from a comment on TV or from a book.  I already have far more ideas than I will ever have time to write down, and the latter is the hard part, of course. lol

La Crimson Femme:  Mmmm, a bit of domestic discipline too?  Yum!  Do you find a difference between British and US BDSM stories?  If so, what is different?
 
Lindsey Brooks: No, I don’t really.  Apart from the settings for the contemporary kind of stories, where we British find US locations more exotic and probably Americans feel similarly about the British ones, I think we share enough of the same culture, as well as the same language, that there isn’t anything very different, and the BDSM aspects are pretty much universal, regardless of race, colour or creed.  I’m sure that is one of the main reasons the BDSM Group here on Goodreads has such a diversity of nationalities amongst its members.
   
La Crimson Femme:  Given a weekend alone with a submissive female, what sorts of BDSM play would be on your menu?

Lindsey Brooks: Restraints for sure, because I enjoy the sight of a helpless sub struggling in her bonds, and some mind games too while she is tied up, if she is agreeable, but I don’t intend to go into detail about those.   I’m sure we can all come up with our own particular fantasies when the need arises.  ;)  Clamps are really a must, I think, along with a good assortment of toys and impact implements (since I particularly enjoy impact play), and a lot of teasing.  I think it can occasionally be more fun to push the limits of both myself and my partner, providing we are in agreement, but sometimes it is nice to just do the old, familiar things we know are going to work every time.  

La Crimson Femme:  Oh boy!  I can think of a certain someone who will be perfect for these kinky times.  Her name ends in a vowel and is five characters. What is your favourite implement for sexual punishment?

Lindsey Brooks: Hmmm, tough choice.  As I said, I like impact play so paddles and floggers interest me, and I like to have plenty to choose from, depending on the mood of the moment.  However, I have always preferred to wield the cane, and of all the types a thin, flexible one gives me the most satisfaction.  But having said that, I think what I like best is delivering a good, old-fashioned OTK spanking.  There is nothing quite so intimate as that, where I can feel the sting of each smack on my palm and every movement of the sub under each impact.  Nothing compares to the feeling of closeness and bonding I get when I am doing that with the person I love. 

La Crimson Femme:  Tell us something that most people don't know about you.

Lindsey Brooks: Okay.  I met the lady I love here in the BDSM Group in June 2012 and we are hoping to marry early in 2015.  I’ll take this opportunity to express my gratitude to everyone who had a hand in founding and running the group. Without you none of it would have happened and there would be two less happy people in the world.  So thank you very much indeed!

La Crimson Femme:  Wow!  Congratulations, Lindsey!  How exciting.  It is lovely to meet someone you’d want to spend the rest of your life with.  What hobby do you have which may surprise readers?

Lindsey Brooks: It isn’t likely to surprise anyone and may be a bit of a cliché to say so, but these days my hobby is also my job.  It may not pay very well but writing is my main interest and in one way or another it takes up a lot of my time and doesn’t leave much for anything else, except taking care of the cat of course. ;) Oh, and being in love with someone who is almost on the other side of the planet can be time-consuming too. ;)

La Crimson Femme:  If you could travel to any place, where would you go and what would you do there?

Lindsey Brooks: I would have to say California, home to my lady love.  I’ll leave your imagination to figure out what I would do. ;)  To be honest, I have always felt that where I go, or even what I do isn’t anywhere near as important as who I am doing it with.  I think that is what makes the real difference.

La Crimson Femme:  Hmm, you are a romantic.  ^_^  Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Lindsey Brooks: LOL.  If I’m still here and still breathing I think I will be content with that.

La Crimson Femme:  Well, I certain hope you will be alive and well in ten years or more.  With a wedding and new partner, may it be a wonderful kinky and loving ten years and beyond.  Thank you for dropping by and sharing with us!  Everyone, check out Lindsey’s excerpt of his latest Regency style novel.  Spankings for everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts