Review: Holding the Cards

Holding The Cards (Nature of Desire, #1)Holding The Cards by Joey W. Hill

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


I've been a fan if Ms. Hill for a long time.  I haven't read all of her earlier work and I'm slowing making my way to them.  This is a 3.5 star for me.  It's interesting to see Ms. Hill's growth in BDSM through her books.  This earlier one is focused on more the relationship than the scenes.  It's quite well done.

Here's a few quotes that really caught my attention.

“That’s how the game was meant to be played. Savoring, drawing it out, cherishing, never taking for granted the gift that has been given to your senses. You must appreciate it, worship it, even as you run your tongue over it and melt away the outer casing to get to the cream beneath. You hold it captive as long as you can, intending on bringing out its richest flavors before allowing it to explode, and be consumed.

“Jonathan,” his lip curled in a sneer, and his eyes flashed back to Lauren, “had a serious eating disorder.” A drop of rain spattered on Lauren’s knee. Thunder rumbled lazily in the distance.

“How about we take lunch inside?” Marcus offered. He jerked his head toward Josh, a twinkle in his eye. (pg. 164, loc. 3121-3129)


Oh boy, when do I receive my piece of chocolate?  And I don't even like chocolate!

“Face down,” she trailed her fingers up his bare arm, “cheek pressed against that broad rump, your wrists strapped to the hind quarters, ankles to his forelegs,” she directed his attention there.

“And then I can plunge that rubber cock into your ass until you scream and buck like one of your young men would.”(pg. 182, loc. 3465-3467)


Check please!  I'm ready!  When can I get in on this scene? 

There was no orgasm as intense as one that you had to work for, work for like a son of a bitch, endure being pleasurably teased and teased ever higher. (pg. 186, loc. 3535-3536)

Right, so again, where do I sign up for this?  Seriously, I want some of this!

The story pace for me was too slow.  I understand the build up, but it really could have been cut down for me.  The dragging out of how Jonathan hurt Lauren was too much for me.  Trying to find out what happened to Josh felt the same for me. 



Because it took so long, when the truth was revealed, I'm already a bit disinterested.  This is not to say I didn't feel dread or moved when I learned what happened.  It was just not as great an impact because I waited so long.

From a BDSM perspective, the D/s dynamic is well explored.  I've always found Ms. Hill's BDSM to be very good.  She really gets it.  She shows different sides of it that I appreciate.

Overall this is an enjoyable read.  There are some very hawt parts.  The menage is quite delicious.  Recommended to those who like enjoy Femdom D/s with a co-dominant male.



View all my reviews
     

   

      Holding The Cards (Nature of Desire, #1)
   

 

 
 
   

Comments

Popular Posts