Review: The Saint


The Saint
The Saint by Tiffany Reisz

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Buy this book now! Ms. Reisz consistently delivers in her Original Sinners Series. Honestly, I debated whether I wanted to read this book or not. This is because this books highlights how Eleanor first became involved with Søren. My fear is that the writing would be a filler and we would learn nothing new. I should know by now that Ms. Reisz poured her soul into this series and each installment is a masterpiece.

The dialog in this book is just as memorable and poignant. Seeing Søren and Eleanor in their younger years is superbly done. It reveals the complicated nature of their relationship. On top of this, the story is told from Eleanor's perspective to Kingsley's son which totally complicates her love life again. What is sad to me is the amount of times Eleanor loves and then needs to give up the one she loves. What is it she's done so horrible that she never seems to have a happily ever after?

Learning about Eleanor's relationship with both her mother and father is yet another heartbreak. Her mother's frustration is understandable. Yet the way Eleanor is treated is horrible and at a tender age where child still needs a mother's love, I could not help but wince and cry for the abandoned Eleanor.

By now, anyone reading my reviews already know I think the world of Ms. Reisz's world building, character development and writing voice. She ties in multiple layers of meaning and suffering in her stories. The Saint is no exception. This one showcases pain as a teenager is orphaned by parents who don't want a child. Another point to make about this series is the intermingling of Christian doctrine from a priest point of view as well as a skeptic. The counter arguments are fantastic. No other author I read makes me crack open the bible and read up on the verses referenced and the chapters mentioned. I can honestly say I've never read Ester until after I read this book. I wonder if any of the girls I know named after Ester in the bible have really read about Ester. I would think they wouldn't exactly appreciate the name as much.

The elegance of Ms. Reisz's writing comes across whether she's making a point with a single sentence or a dialog between two characters.

Lust is overwhelming or uncontrollable desire that leads to sin. (Kindle loc. on 595-596)


“You don’t sin?” Søren sounded so skeptical she would have been insulted if he weren’t entirely right to be that skeptical.

“No, I don’t try to not sin.”

Søren closed his eyes and shook his head.

“What?” she [Eleanor] asked.

He held up his hand, indicating his need for silence.

“What?” she whispered.

“Do you hear that?”

She tilted her head and listened. “No. I don’t hear anything. Do you hear something?” she asked Søren.

“I do.”

“What?”

“God laughing at me.”

Eleanor rested her chin on her hand. “You hear God laughing at you?”

“Loudly. I’m quite surprised you can’t hear it.”

“He’s laughing at you, not me,” she said. (Kindle loc. on 643-649)


“Beethoven was deaf when he composed this piece. He couldn’t hear his own masterpiece anywhere but in his own head. But we are all deaf in a way. Life is a symphony composed by God, played by us with preludes, themes, movements, passages…and wrong notes, so many wrong notes. Heaven is where we get to hear the music played perfectly for the first time.” [Søren]

“I think life is a book,” Eleanor said. “God writes it. We’re His characters. He knows what happens on the next page, but we don’t. Heaven is where we get to read the book cover to cover and see how it all makes sense.” (Kindle loc. on 4113-4118)


The sex in this story is hawt. The intensity in which the characters physically speak to each other is phenomenal. This passionate, focused and a hundred percent erotic. Ms. Reisz's brand of BDSM is enticing, darkly provocative and generates a deep yearning by those who love D/s. The rapture the lovers experience is as all-consuming as Søren's dedication to God. These seemingly opposing concepts blow my mind when Ms. Reisz twists them into a complimentary realties for the characters. Ms. Reisz's persuasive writing would even charm the Devil to give up sin. This book is highly recommended to romance lovers who enjoy exquisitely writing with memorable characters and off the chart erotic heat.

*provided by NetGalley


View all my reviews
     

   

      The Saint (The Original Sinners: White Years, #1)
   

 

 
 
    

Comments

Popular Posts