Review: Magic Shifts

Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
Put this at the top of your queue and read it! @ilona_andrews #bookreview

Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Wow, I went through that like a hot knife through butter... Much to ponder.  I kept thinking someone would die...

UPDATE

I have now re-read the book.  Yes, yes, I'm a little crazy that way.  It's only the beginning of Day 2 after the release and I've already re-read the book.

This book may not live up to people's expectations because there was SO MUCH HYPE about it.  And honestly, I fell into the trap and thought there would be so much more...answered and moved forward.  Not so much.  Still, it is a fabulous book and I really enjoyed it.  I mean, I've already read it twice in less than 24 hours, that should say something, right?

Here are some of noteworthy lines.  I love Ilona Andrews' characters dialogue.  The conversations are funny and just bring a smile to my face.  The authors have a gift when it comes to this because it is not easy to do.

Here's the first one I loved.  And then I thought, why do I love it so much?  Because this is the kind of conversation I find to be normal and it is comforting to see others who think this way.

“Give me some credit. Eduardo is one of our own. Finding him is all that matters. Besides, if I’d decided to pull Carver’s spine out of his body, I would’ve done it already.” [Curran]

“Can you actually do that?” [Kate]

Curran frowned. “I don’t know. I mean theoretically if you broke the spine above the pelvis, you could, but then there are ribs . . . I’ll have to try it sometime.”

Okay, then. That was not disturbing. Not at all.

“What do you suppose normal people talk about on their car rides?” -- Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels Book 8), loc. 893-897


I guess I get that this may be disturbing, but it has never been disturbing for me.  For me, this novel is really about change for Curran and Kate.  Curran needs to adjust not being the Beast Lord anymore and living around humans.  This is a universal situation which many can relate to and I certainly did.  The need to adjust when a relationship becomes more serious.  Or when moving to a new location.  Showing how Curran tries to be more "human" is both humbling and sad.  Kate and Curran work through their obstacles and it's nice to see they won't break up.  The chemistry between the two main characters is still delightful.  Many may be scared of Curran; this does not include Kate.

“Fine. I’ll stay here with this thing, and you will drive yourself to the hospital.” [Curran]

“No.” [Kate]

He hit me with an alpha stare. I opened my eyes as wide as I could. “Why, of course, Your Majesty. What was I thinking? I will go and do this right away, just please don’t look at me.” [Kate]

“Kate, get in the car.”  [Curran]

“Maybe you should growl dramatically. I don’t think I’m intimidated enough.” [Kate]

“I will put you in the car.” [Curran] ~loc. 1166-1170


With this kind of dialogue, it conveys more than just words.  I can feel the tone of it as well as visualize the body language between the too.  This is what pulls me into the story more. 

There are other amusing parts which appeal to me.  Specifically when the authors show how Kate and Curran as far as intimidation goes, are like the pot and the kettle.

“They wanted to give you space.” [Curran]

“Did they think I would throw a tantrum?” [Kate]

“Baby, you’re not the tantrum type. You are the scary-smile-and-stabbing type.”[Curran] loc. 1891-1893


This is probably my favourite line in the book right now. 

“Everyone you [Kate] come in contact with becomes temporarily insane.” Saiman loc. 2023-2023

Why is this my favourite?  Because it captures Kate's influence upon others.  She is a catalyst of change who help people, shifters, etc become better.  She may do what is considered terrible things, but if you look at her intent and her moral compass, it is impressive.  She never takes the easy way out.  What Saiman accuses her of, is basically, "Why do people not look out for themselves when they are with you?  Why do they decide to do things that are not self serving?"  This is something he can't understand nor does he condone.  Frankly, I'm not shocked by his attitude and yet I'm still surprised by his responses to Kate.

From a world building perspective, I believe this book needs to happen in order for the end game.  I'm not 100% sure what the end game will be with Roland, but I do have a clue.  This book provides a critical element to it which made me go "AH HA!"  And then, oh bloody hell, how on earth are they going to make this happen?  Bringing in a new character, the Djinn and how they fit into the world is completely mind blowing for me.  I've never read it quite this way and I love how it's explained using basic chemistry.  I completely followed it and it appeals to my inner geek. It's these little flourishes which always impresses me about Ilona Andrews' writing. 

Regarding loss... I had some preconceived notions based upon my religious following of Ilona's Blog that there would be great sacrifice which translates to death for me.  Not sure how that happened, but that's how I read it.  My assumption was obviously wrong.  I expected a blow as badly and shocking as Aunt B.  I can safely say, for those who feared another situation like Aunt B, there is nothing to fear.

What really surprised me in this book was the sex.  I don't ever expect to get sex in the Kate Daniels series.  When it happened, I had a slight jarring WTF moment.  Almost like, "Gah!  What is going on here?  Why are they having sexy time that is NOT fading into black? Stop!"  Now for those who know me and realize I read pretty much 90% sex books, you may wonder why this is a problem.  It's not a problem.  It's just a surprise and whilst it was interesting, it really didn't do much for me.  I guess I'm so used to the sexual tension between Kate and Curran, when they finally get it on, it felt awkward.  Like something I shouldn't be witnessing.  It's a private thing between them.  Anyway, the sex is fine and probably the right graphic for romance lovers. 

I really liked this book and I highly recommend it to paranormal romance lovers.  Put this at the top of your queue and read it!


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts