Review: Dark Heart of Magic

Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade, #2)@Jennifer_Estep #bookreview how quick can I get my hands on the next book? *wink* 

Dark Heart of Magic by Jennifer Estep

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Books in this series can't come fast enough. I'm hooked on another Ms. Estep world as I devoured this second book. Surprisingly, there are more big reveals in here than anticipated. It keeps the storyline moving forward and makes a reader also feel a sense of urgency. Lila is back and she's pushed to the head of the Sinclair family in an honoured position to fight in the tournaments. Not interested in the tournaments due to the spotlight, Lila is surprised to learn more about her mother through the competition. Specifically, she is following her mother's footsteps and that her mother made some mistakes which resulted in grave consequences.

The tone of this story is definitely catered towards the readers who prefer grandiose romances, star-crossed lovers, forbidden alliances and extremes. The extremes come in the form of bat shit crazy villains and estrangements between family and best friends. It is as if Lila is now unraveling all the young adult drama her mother and respective generation caused - basically sins of the father stuff. Lila does a decent job of keeping her a level head as everyone else comes across as overly emotional. Even her little fairy, Oscar is a bit of a drama queen. It took me a little bit, but I figured out who Oscar reminds me of. He reminds me of Jinks the pixie from The Hollows Series. Oscar's attitude is a bit more bitter if similar in waspy wit.

The pace of this book is amusing because it is a hurry up and wait feeling. Sometimes it moves fast and we arrive at a point faster than expected, then it takes a while to finally get to the next point. This stop go motion may be off putting for some. For others it may work to help them process the crazies and their behaviour. This is not in reference to Deah's mother who behaves crazy yet seems to be the only one who knows what is going on. The reveals in this story help set up for the next book. This build up may cause a reader to wish for the next book to come out immediately. I read the first two books one after and another and it was quite satisfying. Now that I have to wait for the next book to come out, I am impatient. For readers who rooting for the underdog, this is the book for you.

*provided by NetGalley



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts