Review: First Touch

First Touch (First and Last, #1)Arousing, suspenseful, divine, must read @laurelinpaige #bookreview 

First Touch by Laurelin Paige

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Buy this book now. For those who like kink and thrillers, this is a must read. Fans of Lisa Renee Jones's Inside Out series, this is a must read for you. Ms. Paige is a new to me author and one I will be keeping my eye on. First Touch is the first book I have read of hers. I suffered from a bad case of book hangover reading this book. I loved this book from beginning to end. I take it back. The end, I did not like because it is a complete cliffhanger, not too different than If I Were You by Ms. Jones. I clicked on my kindle expecting to read more only to have nothing happen. In a panic, I thought maybe my kindle froze. When it moved back a page but not forward a page. I checked the percentage - 100%. No! I nearly screamed in frustration but I had to muffle my scream as I was reading under the covers late at night and did not want to be yelled at by my spouse. This is how much I wanted to finish the book. I read late into the week night and had to hide under a blanket so my spouse didn't see the dim glow.

What did I like about this book? Pretty much everything. There is a sophistication to Ms. Paige's writing style which is hard for me to explain. This book spoke to me. Her writing style pulling me in and connecting is quite a feat because she uses a few techniques and character designs which I do not enjoy and normally abhor. The book is written in first person from Emily Wayborn's perspective. For the most part, first person does not work for me because I naturally find myself identifying with the character. If the character's personality, attitude and thought process is too different from mine, I hate it. I hate it because I find the main character to be annoying. In this case, Emily is very different from me in so many ways yet I can appreciate her differences and relate.

The key here is the character development. Emily is well designed with multiple layers. She may not be a female many understand. She is perhaps an anti-heroine. Emily is a recovering whore to put it bluntly. She is now a voice actress who cleaned up her act and a responsible tax paying adult. Her past is quite sordid. I find her past fascinating and based on how she explains herself, I can understand her perspective. I admire her honesty and self-confidence. I admire her loyalty. I love her tenacity.

How I most connect with her, is her desire to submit. Ms. Paige nailed it with how a natural submissive can think. Not all are this way, but some are. I have similar tendencies and it is difficult. I remember my younger age where I held the same beliefs and concerns as Emily. People criticize and sneer at submissives who do not say no and do not use their safeword. They lump these people all as doormats or perhaps a person with low self-esteem. This is not the case for all. I am neither a doormat nor do I have self-esteem issues. I do have a very difficult time using my safeword. In fact, I have never used it. There were times that my limits were pushed far past and bad things happened. The scene went wrong because I could not say my safeword. I have had scenes end because the dominant ended it because they were no longer comfortable with my responses. Now, I have never been badly damaged like Emily, only because the males I have scened with were trustworthy. I could have easily ended up like Emily.

Emily expressively portrays why it is hard to say no. It is not because I want to be damaged or feel like I should be punished. It is because that erotic power exchange where I yield because the dominant enjoys it so much, that it makes so good for me. Even if I normally would not enjoy it. Emily captures this, explains it and demonstrates it so eloquently. Her emotions and desires leap off the pages for me.


The BDSM in this book is very well written. This is not your Safe Sane and Consensual kink. This is closer to RACK, risk aware consensual kink. And there are scenes from the past where it is completely BORK - balls out reckless kink. Rather than analyzing the D/s in this story, I will highlights the fetishes which kept me in an erotic state throughout most of the book. The interrogation type play is very attractive. The threat of danger also works well. The D/s part grabs me by the throat and makes me gasp in breathy excitement. The sensual cruelty Reeves demonstrates over and over again is like a constant edge play for my mind. I am overstimulated and wanted to reach that climax so desperately. Ms. Paige executes an impressive orgasm denial twist at end of the book with her cliffhanger. I fiercely want to read the next book. I immediately looked up the publication date and the second book is not out until Spring of 2016. I quietly sob as I count the days until the next book may grace my grabby hands. Highly recommended to kinky readers who enjoy a cat and mouse suspense with a dangerous man who gets what he wants.

*provided by NetGalley


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts