Review: Searing Ecstasy

Searing Ecstasy
A series to pick up #bookreview @XpressoReads

Searing Ecstasy by Setta Jay
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Dragon lovers, Drake's story is here. As the leader of the Guardians, it is his turn to have a mate. Full disclosure, I did not read the previous books in this series. I believe this book should be read after reading the first six books. Whilst I easily followed along and figured out who was who and what was going on, I think I missed some of the nuances because this is the only book I have read in the series.

The reason why I could read this book as a standalone is because Ms. Jay does a decent job of referring to previous events. In addition, she explains a few concepts to this world to make it easy to dive in and understand the mythos. The explanations are just the right amount so that those who have been diligently following this series are not inundated with repetitive clarifications.

The characters in this story are fine. Drake is a man who is torn between duty and his personal desires. What seems to be completely opposing agendas is nicely brought together to resolve the conflicts in this story. He is a straightforward character easy to like and admire. His destined mate, oddly enough is not featured in this story as much. It is not that she isn't a key part of the story. She does not have much of a speaking or interaction part with Drake. Delia is either restrained due to torture or to keep her from going crazy. When she is finally well enough to be with Drake, there is just sex, sex and sex. I am more interested in Apollo and his siblings than the Guardians finding mates.

The world building is dark and appealing. I like the incorporation of the Greek Gods as well as the different levels of to this universe. The world building and the complication of finding mates does remind me of several series. The Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole, Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalters and Dark-Hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon. For those who enjoyed these three series, Ms. Jay's Guardians of the Realms is one to pick up. Recommended for paranormal romance lovers who like alpha males and strong female soulmates.

*provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts