Club Deception by Sarah Skilton tour and Q&A


Let's welcome Sarah Skilton to my Dungeon!

Sarah's new book came out July 25th.  Check it out.  Sarah also came over to my blog for a little Question and Answer.

CLUB DECEPTION, Sarah Skilton's debut adult novel from Grand Central Publishing, filled with the scandals and secrets of LA's most exclusive fictional magician's society.

Claire Fredericksson is the beating heart of CLUB DECEPTION, LA's most exclusive magician's society. She's the Queen Bee of Magician WAGs (“Wives and Girlfriends”), and the real genius behind her philandering husband Jonathan's award-winning magic show, but her debilitating stage fright has kept her out of the limelight. Claire's life is upended by the arrival of two new women to the closed group of magicians' wives—Jessica, a young trophy wife with a secret, and Kaimi, an art expert looking for the long-lost Erdnase papers by posing as a girlfriend. When a magician rivalry and a stolen routine erupt into murder, the women must uncover the truth and set things right for the men they love. With a cast of endurance experts, Vegas stage stars, close-up card handlers, and a pick-up artist or two, this glamorous novel weaves a tale of murder, fame, and many, many illusions.



Sarah Skilton is a book blogger with Barnes & Noble, as well as the author of two young adult novels, Bruised and High & Dry. This is her first adult novel, which will also appeal to her devoted audience of teen readers. Sarah Skilton's husband is a full-time professional magician and a member of the exclusive club, The Magic Castle! Visit Sarah at www.SarahSkilton.com.



Buy Links




Website




Social Media 
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram




INTERVIEW


La Crimson Femme: Welcome to my Dungeon, Sarah!  Make yourself comfortable.

Sarah: *looks around the dungeon, gingerly sits down on the velvet chaise*

La Crimson Femme: I hear your husband is a magician.

Sarah: Yes, that is true.

La Crimson Femme:  As a magician’s spouse, what current magicians performing blow your mind? Ones that you think… WITCH! WITCH!

Sarah: Not sure I'd actually call anyone a witch... Cyril Takayama’s illusions are mind-boggling. He’s able to extract a real hamburger from a picture of one on a restaurant menu! I also enjoy Michael Carbonaro’s show, The Carbonaro Effect, as well—it’s sort of like Punk’d but with magic.

La Crimson Femme:  Interestingly, when I watch Michael Carbonaro, I think "WITCH".  I always wonder when the villagers are going to come after him with pitchforks and demand to have him burned at the stake.  

Sarah: *Eyes widen* 

La Crimson Femme:  As interesting as burning witches are, let's talk about my favourite magicians.  Have you watched Penn & Teller’s Fool Us and if so, what do you think about it?



Sarah:
I cut the cable cord a few years ago, but I definitely watch clips online sometimes. I'm a Penn & Teller fan (their mythbusting show Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t! was great, too) and I love the concept of Fool Us because it’s wonderful for magicians and laypeople a like. Piff the Magic Dragon was a favorite; his costume (it’s a riff on Puff) and routine made me smile and laugh.

La Crimson Femme:  I saw them live and thought it was fabulous.  I travelled all the way to Las Vegas to see them. Speaking of travel, what are the top 5 places on your bucket list you would travel to and why?


Sarah: 
I traveled to Japan (Kyoto and Tokyo) on my honeymoon in 2004, and I'd love to return. The food, shopping, architecture, and sight-seeing are fabulous. My husband and I are also fascinated by Iceland—the landscapes, people, and music—and I'd like to check out South America at some point (partially for the food, yum). My mother is British so I spent a lot of time in England as a kid—it's one of my favorite places, but I haven’t spent much time there as an adult and it would be cool to change that. According to Google Images, Sweden seems really epic, too!

La Crimson Femme:  Fantastic!  My spouse has never been to Tokyo so we're taking a trip this Fall to visit for a week.  We can not wait to eat the sushi. Iceland is highly recommended.  We just visited Iceland last Fall in 2016.  It was fantastic.  Island of rainbows and waterfalls.  I highly recommend stopping at the Blue Lagoon.  Book your tickets in advance as they are now sold out sometimes weeks in advance.  It is definitely worth the hype.  England is quite lovely.  Having worked in London, it is like a bit of a second home to me.  Although my favourite city is Edinburgh.  Love Scotland!  Who doesn't like Scotch?  Sweden does seem gorgeous.  If you go, let me know how you liked it.

As an author, you must read a few books too.  What kind of books do you like to read? Who are your favourite authors?

Sarah:  I love mysteries, including classic and modern noir (i.e. Raymond Chandler and Megan Abbott, respectively), historical fiction (Ann Parker's Silver Lies series set in Leadville, Colorado post-Civil War is a must-read; and I try to read Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn every Christmas). I like contemporary thrillers and character studies, such as those written by Gillian Flynn and Alexandra Kleeman, and I like romance series in the vein of Charlaine Harris.

La Crimson Femme:  Oh, I do like mysteries/suspense too.  I have been a fan of Ms. Harris before she was such a big name!  With your avid reading, what are your thoughts on eReaders and which one do you use, if you use one?

Sarah:  I don't use one.

La Crimson Femme:  *Gasps*

Sarah:  After typing throughout the day, in my downtime I don't want to look at another screen. Holding a physical book, which I consider to be an object of art, and appreciating the different shapes, sizes, fonts, covers, weights, and textures, is a treat for me—a way to relax at the end of the day. The tactile sensation is important. My 5-year-old has a Kindle for kids and ironically the one thing he's not allowed to do on it is read books! He's got a big book collection so we use the Kindle for games. 😊

La Crimson Femme:  Hah, that is irony.  That is all the time and questions I have for you.  Thank you again for stopping by.  Readers, be sure to check out Ms. Skilton's book, CLUB DECEPTION.


Comments

Popular Posts