Review: Big City Dragon


Big City Dragon
Big City Dragon by Cynthia Sax

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



The Romance Review

Denial, thy name is Perla.

Perla is feeling out of sorts. She's finally feeling at home when she moves to the Bronx, but strange things have been happening which frightens her. Insistent that she is human, she ignores all signs otherwise. Her steadfast friend, Carla, goes along for the denial ride and they end up at the Lair, an exclusive sex club.

The concept of this story is intriguing. I liked it because I love dragons. In this story, we do read about smexy dragons getting their kink on. There are also vampires. Perla is drawn to a dragon through reasons unknown to her. Carla is distracted by a vampire, the dragon's friend, so that Perla can have an enlightening tête-à-tête with Frey, the master of Lair.

The reason why despite the hot sex and cool characters I rated it a 3 star is because the world was too under-developed for me. I couldn't tell if humans really knew there were paranormal creatures among them or not. I think they knew, but I wasn't sure. The author assumes the reader is versed in common dragon mythology where dragons are territorial of their lairs. We glimpse some of the protocol for dragons when each character either thinks or shouts out, "He DARES!" This is to imply that some line is crossed which the reader should know. While most can figure it out through context clues, it leaves the world building rather sketchy. I would have preferred a little more world building and a little less Perla's fumbling for a suitable man to scratch her itch.

The smexy scenes between Perla and Frey are spark worthy. They generate heat and a book which contains flying shifter sex will always receive a positive review from me. Plus who doesn't love dragons? I recommend this short smexy story for dragon lovers who like it glittery kinky.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts