Review: Base Instincts

Base Instincts (Demonica #11.7)Base Instincts by Larissa Ione

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Grab me by the throat and just sucks the emotion out of me…Base Instincts reels me back into the Demonica series. The past few books have been enjoyable, just rather staid. With Base Instincts, learning about a new very insular demon type is what makes this book so good. Raze is a Seminus demon who must fight his urges. He wants sex with a man yet in order to survive, he must have sex with a woman. A friends with benefits situation with Fayle works for a while but turns into a nasty unrequited love affair. Raze may be dazed and confused. Slake is not. When Slake bursts into the night scene and catches Raze's eye, Fayle will go all Fatal Attraction on Raze.

Slake sold his soul so that he could get out of a sticky situation. His last mission is a problem. Delivering Fayle as his last assignment is all messed up because Slake falls for Raze. The conflict in this story is rather predictable. The resolution for the conflict is almost too pat, but I love it. I love it because I adore Slake's character. Slake's history and how he survives appeals for me. Whilst this is supposed to be a m/m story, it is more than this because it is a transgender one. Perhaps I have an over fondness for stories which tackle gender fluidity. Slake and Raze's relationship starts out rock and continues throughout the book. Even at the end, it isn't exactly a happily ever after.

This story is pretty short and is a quick read. It is action packed with manipulations and back stabbing. For those who haven't read the previous books, it is fine because this story can be read as a standalone. For me the sexual chemistry is hot. The extra bits makes me cream a little in my panties. Recommended for urban fantasy readers who enjoy a bit of a twist.

*provided by NetGalley



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts