Review: An Elegant Weapon

An Elegant Weapon An Elegant Weapon by Candace Blevins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Cruelty can be kindness for some. This is true for Holly. Holly is a meth head who shows up in the previous novella, Leashed. For some reason, I thought Holly would be tossed aside as worthless because she certainly was stupid. Spencer did everything he could to help Holly but he failed. Abbott decides to send Holly to Bran, another vampire master as a last ditch effort. For those who have not read Leashed, it is recommended to read the book first. This book will not be as meaningful as a standalone.

This story is a hard one for me yet also so good. Primarily because I did not like Holly at the get go. She is a whiny drug addict who is obviously ill. She's a lost cause from a human's perspective. It also depends on how people view drug usage. Personally, I think it is an illness which is difficult to heal. Of all the attempts in the human world, Portugal is the only country with the highest success when dealing with drug users. If vampires and shifters existed, then Ms. Blevins has created another solution and an even better one. I like how Ms. Blevins tackles real life problems and uses creative ways to solve them. There was Queenie as a prostitute and how brothels could work. Then there was Uncaged and how former convicts have difficulty reintegrating into society. Now there is Holly and how drug users can be cured to some degree. This cure is a killer.

Holly goes from the sweet gentle coaxing at the hands of Abbott to blood lashing corrections from Bran. Coming from a Chinese background, I tend to lean more towards Bran's method. The way he broke Holly from her drug usage and molded her into a contributing member in society is fantastic. If I could employ these techniques in real life and not be jailed, I would. Actually, I like both Abbott and Bran's methods and find that they work effectively based on the person who needs the instructions. I loved the similarities and differences between the two methods. Each household is structured in a way that really works for them. Whilst I adore Abbott and his coven of intellectuals, I would be lying if I didn't admire and prefer Bran's brutal methods. What I admire most about Bran is his ability to find the skills of a person and help them develop it. This is near and dear to my heart as it is something I enjoy doing at work too. Unfortunately for me, I do not get to use anal plugs, enemas, whipping and caning as incentive to improve and perform.

Holly's growth in this story is a pleasure to witness. As her body heals and her brain starts functioning again, she realizes just how much she's lost due to drug usage. Each step of her training is excruciating as she learns the hard way. Earning every little piece of furniture and little privilege is difficult work. Being treated as a piece of property is the most demoralizing aspect for Holly. Explaining that she has no choice in sex and rape is impossible since she is a slave, is hard for her to accept. For those who have an issue with beatings to drive desired behaviours, this book is not for you. For those who thrive in a clear system of rewards and punishment, this is an orgasmic delight. Ms. Blevins skillful uses BDSM as her instrument of instruction and it is so good.

Whilst Spencer's story is filled with sweet and sexy kink, Holly's is brimming with sadistic tortures. The upside? Holly gets to dole out a little bit of sadism too. Holly's change from a strung out addict to a sharply hone weapon of lethal destruction is delightful. Bran's end game for her is brilliant and as it unfolds, I'm rooting for Holly all the way. The BDSM in this story is exquisite and designed for the SM hedonistic. This kinky novella is recommended to paranormal readers who enjoys watching someone growing into their full potential.

*I voluntarily reviewed an arc of this book 

Comments

Popular Posts