Review: Irish Fling


Irish Fling
Irish Fling by Valerie Douglas

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Ali is only twenty-five yet she comes across as a woman in her forties, going through a mid-life crisis. What I thought was a terrible falling out between her and her career was really not as bad as it seemed. I liked Ali. She's someone I wish I was in someways. She's a wunder kid. I wish I had her memory. That would be heavenly. Her optimism is pretty amazing. I don't know how she does it.

Aidan is a blind fool. Yes, he's super smart but he's blind at times. I'm glad he received a sharp kick in the rear. He's a techie guy so I'm enamored immediately. In fact, the bits of techie intermixed in this story caused me to be in my happy zone. I loved that part. I admire both Ali and Aidan's innovative spirit. I would love to work with people like this. If only their new start up company was real. I would love to work there. Perhaps I too am experiencing a career crisis.

This story was well written with great imagery of Ireland. It makes me want to go visit so badly. The romance story flowed well and I loved the "fling" aspect to it. This is definitely a book I'd recommend to lovers of Nora Roberts books. It's similar in voice.

Now, the reason why this is only a 3.5 star for me was due to the sex. I have to confess here, Ms. Douglas writes sex scenes that do nothing for me. I couldn't read through them. For me, it would have been better if she just removed the sex scenes all together. Her forte is not smexy hot erotic sex which morphs into wild monkey sex. Her forte for me is creating characters who are relate-able and admirable. Alia and Aidan inspire me to want to be a better person. Their sex life on the other hand, is so boring I fell asleep. The sexual tension on the other hand, that was hot. I liked Jacques and his French sensual vibes. My advice to Ms. Douglas - stick to the sexual tension and forget the act.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts