Review: Spider’s Revenge


Spider’s Revenge
Spider’s Revenge by Jennifer Estep

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Gin Blanco is back! I wanted to read this story for a while and finally got around to it. It was all I hoped to be. The very first scene, I'm pulled in. Since I have a book in my hands, I can tell that Gin's assassination attempt in the first chapter is going to go sideways. If she succeeded the first time, what would be in the rest of the 300 plus pages?

     The entire cast of characters are back (except for that asshole ex-bf of hers) to help destroy Mab. We learn more about the rise of Mab and the collateral damage which caused this Greek tragedy to breathe into existence. Yes, Ms. Estep went there! She compared Gin to Oedipus Rex and I'm so thrilled! Yes, yes yes! That is what I thought too. Mab caused all her own problems. The fact that Mab wanted Gin's father is irrelevant. The tangled web of friends and family all come together at the is end game - Mab against Gin in an elemental magic dual. It was AWESOME! The build up was good too. The failed attempts and frustration at not killing Mab which caused the stakes to raise up after each incident really kept me riveted to the book.

     I realize Bria is a cop and can't really condone her sister's killing habits. I'm not sure what it is, maybe the romanticizing of assassins by Hollywood or just my own disregard for lowlife that killing people for money doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm not in LEO so perhaps that is why I don't have any issues with Gin being a killer outside of the law. I'm glad to see the sisters coming together.

     What really surprised me is that this isn't the end of the series. I thought this is where the fat lady sang. (I think Mab was actually thin, but for some reason, in my head I always visualized her as Ursala in the little mermaid.) There is another book after this one. I'm a bit skeptical at life after Mab. Where is the focus? Will this series take a turn for the worse? We'll see. I can highly recommend Spider's Revenge as a satisfying conclusion to Gin's vengeance. For all you bloodthirsty fiends, this one was satisfying.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts