Review: Carried Away


Carried Away
Carried Away by Bridget Midway

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



The Romance Review

When your two best friends happily find the love of their life and you are left behind, how do you feel? Do you begrudge them their happiness? Do you feel sorry for yourself? What if a pact the three of you made helped bring that special man into their life? And you are the only one left who hasn't completed the pact yet? Or have you?

The pact was to take a trip to someplace they hadn't been before to find the man of their dreams. This little "walk about" helped Summer's friends Leya and Kat find the love they had been seeking. They urge Summer to do the same. They even offer to help send her on a dream vacation.

I find this pact interesting because I once lived in a place where several of us single young women were all talking about how hard it was to find a man. One time while we were drinking, we joked about how if we stopped searching so hard and just swore off men, we'd find the man we wanted. That was our pact. Oddly enough, we were all engaged or married by the next year. This story touched me on a personal level.

Summer's journey to a place she's never been is the BDSM lifestyle. She goes online and finds an experienced Dom, Master Z, to answer her questions. Their online affair is purely virtual, no matter how much Master Z wants to meet Summer in person. They live in the same city! They could meet for coffee.

Personally, I didn't like Summer. She has low self-esteem issues and she can't feel good about herself until a man validated her. This is my least favourite female character type. I just want to slap her upside the head. Master Z seemed to be fine. The story fixates on his inability to be "vulnerable". Personally, I thought he was fine. I guess they had to pick on him for something, so that he wasn't too perfect.

The reason why I still enjoyed the story was because the BDSM parts were good. Ms. Midway is a new to me author and I enjoyed how she interwove BDSM into this romance story. It wasn't the focal point, but it definitely enhanced the story for me. If only it were this easy to find a dominant from an online service! I recommend this story for new to BDSM readers who enjoy the lighter side of BDSM.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts