Review: What Doesn't Kill You


What Doesn't Kill You
What Doesn't Kill You by Iris Johansen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Kick ass heroine who is a spy for the CIA and is part Asian? What is not to enjoy? Ms. Johansen's latest book is better. For a while, her Eve Duncan books were bogged down with a mother in denial for so bloody long. It was depressing and just morbid. In this book, Eve is barely mentioned and it is a relief.

We have a better protagonist - Catherine Ling. She's the one who helped Eve enjoy closure of Bonnie's death. This time, Catherine's loved one is under attack. Enigmatic Hu Chang is being hunted by a sadistic sociopath, Nardik. Hu Change created something quite marvelous - a poison which can kill without leaving a trace.

The fast paced suspense is filled with rich descriptions and finally the back story for Catherine. I love it. I love how she tries to relate to Luke. Luke's interactions are fascinating for me. His thought processes are truly unique for a child and with good reason.

Bringing in John Gallo's character is smexy goodness. I've always liked John and find him a perfect fit for Catherine. It seems her struggles with men from a father figure, lover and son is what this story is all about. I like it. The character building is believable and captivating.

The plot is pretty good too. It reads like a spy movie which I adore. The fact that it brings in Chinese pieces is even better. This author did it justice and I admire her for it. Overall, the story line contained a few twists and turns to keep the reader captivated. The ending is a happily ever after but no w/o bitter loss. It's always better when there is loss, is it not? I recommend this book to romantic suspense lovers who enjoy a bit of Asian exotic flavouring.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts