Review: The Mistress


The Mistress
The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Ms. Reisz is in a class of her own. Book four in this series is another hard punch to the gut through the reveals of a painful past. This tale is one of sorrow as well as a blazing hot sexual feast. This book picks right up from the cliffhanger in the previous book. Nora is in the hands of a woman bent on revenge. This crazy woman doesn't care about Nora, she just wants those who love Nora to suffer. Specifically, the insane kidnapper wants Søren to pay for his sins.

These alleged sins committed by Søren are open to interpretation. Ms. Reisz does an excellent job with her character development again. This time, she introduces a villain who is vain, selfish - the embodiment of narcissistic. The woman is a scary psychopath and there will be collateral damage. As the villain is exposed to hard facts, the reader is treated to defining moments for Kingsley, Nora and Søren. The reader becomes a riveted voyeur, unable to turn away from the messy history.

The suspense in this story is prolonged as Nora is forced to share private stories about Kingsley as well as Søren. These stories build another layer of the complex relationships between this hot ménage à trois. The sexual history between Søren and Kingsley is rough and edgy. Learning about Nora's first time as a submissive for the two of them is blazing hot.

Ms. Reisz's writing voice is rich with humour, sultriness and seriousness. An example of her sultry humour is from Kingsley's perspective.

"Our Nora has a magic pussy. It's the opposite of the Bermuda Triangle. Lost men sail into it and then find themselves."

"Kingsley, that's enough." Søren glared at him.

"You were her first Lost Boy," Kingsley said, entirely uncowed by Søren.


Nora generates complicated feelings for me. Sometimes I hate her and want to smack her upside the head. Other times, I'm enamoured of her and wish to bow down to her dominance. She is unashamed of her choices in life. She is true to herself and doesn't give a damn about what other people think. She's no angel and she's far from perfect, yet this is what makes her so attractive and alluring. I can see why all these men want her. She is more than just a magic pussy.

Ms. Reisz's explanation of BDSM speaks to me. Her observations and point of view is similar to how I feel. Ms. Reisz is more eloquent.

Wesley always accused the people of her [Nora] world of putting on costumes and playing dress-up. He had no idea that the suits and the ties and the beige pumps and navy slacks her [Nora] people wore during the day were the real costumes that they shed when they came out after dark.

The desire to submit is described in one of the best I've seen and completely agree with. The longing and power exchange in a D/s is this and more.

"I get off on submitting to Søren. I don't know how or why. I can't explain any more than you can explain why you like Irish breakfast tea instead of English breakfast or whatever you're drinking. It's a personal taste. I liked it. He's the most beautiful man on earth, he's got an inner drive and power that I'm drawn to, he can scare the shit out of someone with a glance, he can put someone on their knees with a word, he can see into your soul if you make the mistake of looking into his eyes. And it is a mistake because you will never want to look away again no matter how bare and naked he lays your most private self. I knelt at his feet because I felt like that’s' where I belonged. An no, not because I was unworthy of him, but because he was so utterly worthy of my devotion."

With all the tangled up love tugging between Wesley and Nora, my stomach knotted with trepidation. Nora marrying Wesley makes no sense to me. He's vanilla and will never be able to provide the edge Nora needs. Yet in this book, Ms. Reisz explains clearly the appeal of Wesley. This realization breaks my heart a little. Now I know why Nora is so drawn to Wesley and yet it can never happen. Wesley also learns more about Nora and her lifestyle. While he hears the unwanted answers, he doesn't completely understand. This is never so clear as when he talks to Kingsley.

"I [Wesley] know. I know…I can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved."
"No. You can't save someone who doesn't need to be saved."

This is really the essence of this story. Where many believe Kingsley, Nora, Søren and a couple others need to be saved, that is not the case. Kingsley, Nora and Søren may lead a secret life yet it's more truthful which is all sorts of paradoxical yet it works. Ms. Reisz does an excellent job of turning things upside down; making up become down and down become up.

Those who want a view into those who live the lifestyle, with the exception of a high end club, all the BDSM scenes are hot and plausible. Ms. Reisz showcases edgeplay in one of the most erotic manners. Her addition of breathplay makes me gasp in delight. This erotic suspense story is highly recommended for BDSM lovers.


*provided by NetGalley



View all my reviews

Comments

Unknown said…
I loved this book!! Glad to see someone else enjoyed it, too. :)
I haven't read this series yet. I have Book 1 I picked up free. Book 4 I just got on NetGalley before I realized I didn't have 2 & 3.

Popular Posts