BDSM Bedtime Stories Season Two Episode Five ~ Jeffe Kennedy




Trivia 1: Jeffe Kennedy studied Kung Fu for over fifteen years and knows a number of martial arts styles.







Kung Fu
 When you take a little    and add a 






what does this equal?



Ruby
(Facets of Passion, #3)

Back to some delicious M/f!  This sexy little scene is too hawt for the office.  Play it at home with a toy handy. 
New to me author, Jeffe Kennedy is here with me today for an exclusive interview.  She's also graced us with an excerpt of her book. Before we dive into the interview, check out J.A. Rock narrating a sexy excerpt of Ruby.



La Crimson Femme: I recently read an article with you talking about writing real people.  I found this interesting.  Have you written characters based on real people?  If so, did they figure out it was them?  And how did they respond?

Jeffe Kennedy: Well, in that article, I mention that I used to write a lot of essays. One was published in Redbook Magazine. It was about when my stepson was hospitalized and my early struggles to define myself as a stepmother (at 24). The boy’s mother had a lot of animosity for me and that was part of the story – including a scene where the nurses mistook her for my sister. I tried to portray her fairly – and I did change identifying details – but of course family recognized her. She read the magazine article and had a complete meltdown, which included sending me a vicious letter telling me how her kids hated me, etc. I’ve saved it all these years, though now my stepson is getting married this winter and my stepdaughter has provided us with two grandchildren.

La Crimson Femme: Wow, I can understand why you wrote this article.  At the time, it must have been intense.  It's good to see now, years later, you have moved on. Why would an author base a character on a real person?  Do you get a certain thrill of making them do what you want to do?  Forcing them into a position they might necessarily do in real life?

Jeffe Kennedy: In that case, I wanted to tell the story of finding my role as a stepmother and it was necessary to include the other people involved. In fiction, I don’t really do that. I have friends who love to murder people fictionally who make them angry. I try to let go of that stuff. There’s a saying that holding onto anger is like carrying around a poisonous snake that keeps biting you. I believe that’s true.

La Crimson Femme: I agree with you.  I do find that it is more detrimental to the person holding on to that anger.   Sometimes, it isn't in anger though.  For example, comic book writer, Brian K Vaughn, created characters loosely based on his mother and sister.  He brutally tortured these characters and killed them.  He even used a variation of their name.  Is this a kind of extreme you would do to your characters based on real people?  Or would you seriously kink it up so that they are depraved hedonists? 

Jeffe Kennedy: Ack! I didn’t know that. No, I wouldn’t do that, even with someone who’s tried to attack me. It’s just not worth it, as I said above. Also, my characters are very real people to me. They have their own lives, goals, inner conflicts and personalities. I would have to twist them to make them fit an agenda like that – and that would ruin the story.

La Crimson Femme: Noted, so no murdering of people who pissed you off.  *snickers* Now, back to the interview.  You write in a few different genres.  How do you decide which on to write in?  Do you ever feel the need to pull back from mixing the genres too much?  For example, do you sometimes feel you are adding too much romantic interest into a Sci-fi Fantasy novel?

Jeffe Kennedy: I don’t really choose the genre, I more choose the story. After it’s done, I (or my agent, poor thing) try to figure out which genre to wedge it into. That’s of course a consideration, what the readers expect, but so far I’ve been very lucky that way. My editors have never told me I have too much or too little romance. I do have an unsold book, that my agent says is like epic fantasy and urban fantasy had a lurid affair and this is their bastard child. LOL! I may end up rewriting that one. Or the market will open up enough to make it work.

La Crimson Femme: Ohh!  A bastard child?!  I love both epic and urban fantasy.  Now I'm intrigued.  *scribbles down note to ask for a copy to read* 
You went on a TV interview.   What went through your mind when you were asked to be interviewed?  Did they ask you more questions than what was provided in the interview publication? If you were to become even kinkier in your romance, would it change your stance on public appearances for TV interviews?  Why or why not?

Jeffe Kennedy: Well, I suppose most of us authors are promo hos to a greater or lesser extent, so I thought hey cool!! It was a fun opportunity. When I got there, it turned out I was supposed to provide interview questions and I hadn’t. Oops. So the interviewer said, well, I’ll just ask whatever comes to mind and we’ll see how it goes, okay? That worked great. I think I wouldn’t change how I present myself or doing public appearances due to kink level – I’m proud of my stories and I own what’s in them. I believe sex is beautiful and there’s no room for fear or shame about it.

La Crimson Femme: What is the craziest thing you've heard of but you are afraid of trying?

Jeffe Kennedy: Bungee jumping! Why why why??  *Waves hands wildly in the air*

La Crimson Femme: *chortles*
Do you ever go to a new location, pick up a new hobby or try something new just so you can write about it?

Jeffe Kennedy: I did make a special trip back to Charleston, to refresh my sensual details of the city for PLATINUM. Otherwise, I think I like to travel so much and try so many things that I have kind of a “bank “ of them. They all feed into my stories.

La Crimson Femme: Do you have any writing restrictions from your publisher?  Have you ever had any writing restrictions from a publisher?  If so what was it and how did affect you?  For example, one erotic publisher will not allow books with children in the book.  We're not talking about sex with children.  We're talking about main characters having children.

Jeffe Kennedy: The only one I can think of is a story that involves minors. It’s about young women growing up in a cult compound, much like the FLDS one in Texas, with the marriage bed in the temple. I really want that story to tell how young women – teenage girls, really – can be sexually and emotionally manipulated by older men. So, there’s orgasmic sex, without informed consent. My girls will have their revenge, but so far, no one will touch the story. I might self-publish it at some point. But things like characters having children or other plot details? No, not ever.

La Crimson Femme: I can see how this one would be touchy with teenage girls.  Sometimes it feels as if we are going the opposite direction in our protection that we lose the original intent.  It's one thing to have sex with minors for sensationalism.  It's another when you are trying to prove a point with a social commentary.  Thank you for stopping by!


Comments

Popular Posts