Review: Forgive Us


Forgive Us
Forgive Us by Lynn Kelling

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



It's complicated definitely describes Trace's life. In Forgive us by Ms. Kelling, Trace's past and connection to the Master Circle from London becomes clear. Full disclosure, I never read the first two books and now I have to go back and read them. I'm intrigued. Ms. Kelling is a new to me author whom I'm going to be watching. Her characters are interesting. The tangled web of relationships is fascinating for me to figure out and connect. Basically, everything seems to revolve around Trace. Trace is barely holding himself together to keep his people safe and protected. Trace also seems to have a split personality, struggling with Patrick trying to take over. After a bit, it all makes sense.

Ms. Kelling does a good job of writing an easy to follow plot. There are a few twists and turns yet she guides the reader through each of them. Her writing voice is smooth with gentle ebbs and flows. The sex scenes she writes are filled with erotic tension. They tease and tantalize a reader into a sexual frenzy. Several of her D/s scenes are less "set up scenes" and more rough sex with clear dominance. The way she writes the yielding of the submissives is divine. Many of scenes required a bit of time out for me to enjoy some "me-time". If I need to stop a book in order to satisfy my desires several times, it's definitely a pleasurable book.

Ms. Kelling does come up with some clever edging scenes. Some of the rules for protocol are odd at times until the past becomes clear. Then it makes perfect sense and tugs on the heart strings. This story is about secrets revealed which causes big waves for all of Trace's inner circle. Perhaps I am jaded and these types of reveals do not impact me as much as the characters. For some reason, they feel totally misled and a bit betrayed. I can never understand why lovers feel they must know every little detail about the other person. Sure, Trace does have a few large pieces he needs to share. It is good to see Micah's response as more accepting than feeling wronged for never knowing the details of Trace's past.

What is really good about this book is the way Ms. Kelling blends two different worlds so well together. Seeing Gray, Jack and Jan in this series is a delight. Oddly enough, a reader learns more about Gray in this book than in Don't and Antidote. Gray still comes across as an omniscient dominant. The relationship between Gray and Trace is what really sheds light about Gray. Gray is a bit of an ass and the reader learns about the young Gray who did make mistakes. It's not clear exactly how Gray changed for the better. It is unfortunately depressing to see how bad Gray was for Trace. In the present, Gray is now an agent of good influence and tough loving support. It's nice to the contrast between younger and older Gray.

Overall, this story pulled many emotions from me. Mostly, my heart felt constant sorrow for several of the characters. Because I felt for these characters, I became engaged and enjoyed the story more fully. The BDSM is smoking hawt and enjoyable for me. As a first book from Ms. Kelling, it rocks for me. Recommended to read this series in order. Definitely recommended for m/m lovers who enjoy complicated BDSM pairings.

* ARC provided by the author for an honest review






View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts