Review: The Skinny on Love


The Skinny on Love
The Skinny on Love by Fyn Alexander

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Romance Review (Second review)

When one suppresses his natural inclination towards something, it will still manifest out in ways they don't notice.

John Moorcroft is in deep denial of his desire for other men. When his best friend, Roslyn, points out all the ways he swings the other way, especially the location of his business, it forces John to take a look at himself. Not happy with this line of thought, Roslyn further aggravates John when she points out that something in his past must have had some impact on him. Specifically, he needs to determine what happened to his mother.

This is where Sky Cook comes into the story. Sky is a detective who gets the job done, but he's a bit eccentric. Sky does not fit the current business mold of efficiency, good client presence and awesome website. When Sky and John meet, it's a classic "Odd Couple".

Fyn Alexander does a good job of showing how two characters can benefit from each other. Neither is wrong or right. What it does show is how a relationship where two people who are so different and value different things can work towards an understanding. Sky's character moves me most; his character is amazing. This is a young man who is always kindhearted and looks at the best in people. He may seem like a pushover, but in reality, he's more like water. Water in the way he smooths a rock's rough edges and yet with the strength to carve through a mountain. Sky demonstrates this over and over again with his ability to work with people. For this, I admire and it is a good reminder for myself that there are other ways to gain agreement or produce results. One does not have to use force every time.

Another interesting plot device here is how the past shapes a person's current behaviour. John's denial of his sexuality is directly correlated to a defining moment in his teen years. It's sad when it is revealed. Sky's past as an orphan explains his current interaction with food. Sky's touches me more because it's something I experienced in a similar fashion. For the longest time, I couldn't understand why I would allow food to spoil and have to be thrown away. That never happened when I was growing up. I couldn't understand why I wasted money on food that ended up in the garbage. After some self-reflection, I realized that I hoard food because I'm always afraid I'll be hungry and not have food to eat. As a child who did frequently go hungry due to lack of food, it shaped how I behave as an adult. As an adult who earns enough money to have most anything I want to eat at any time, I overbuy food. Sky goes through a very similar realization and this impacts John more because it helps John become more understanding. John's preconceived notions about Sky are wrong because he didn't take the time to see the deeper causes and Sky's motivations.

The way the story develops as John becomes a more humane and compassionate soul is beautiful to see. It is also a subtle way of how the author teaches her readers not to judge a book by its cover. Well done! This is a lovely 3.5 star story involving personal growth, romance and forgiveness. It even includes delicious BDSM with a newbie Top and a loving submissive. The way BDSM is blended into this story is superb. It enhances the story and creates another dynamic to this beginning relationship.

This m/m romance is recommended for those who enjoy characters who experience paradigm shifts and painful epiphanies.



View all my reviews

Comments

I like the sound of this one.

Popular Posts