Review: Alien Separation


Alien Separation
Alien Separation by Gini Koch

@GiniKoch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Now the truth comes out, the Mastermind is revealed, just like the wizard of Oz is revealed behind the curtain. This description is apropos since the world Kitty lands up in is like an acid trip into the Wonderful Land of Oz. Ms. Koch is a master at creating the familiar and reinterpreting into a manner which is totally refreshing.

In this new book, Kitty and her team of superpower heroes are beamed up into a world which does not make sense. Kitty quickly figures out who brought them to the planet. What she doesn't know, is why she is there when she really needs to be back on planet Earth to foil the Mastermind. My thought was this is the book with the big showdown. No, it is not. It's the book setting up for a big showdown. Who knows what will happen because I can never predict Ms. Koch. This is why I love her books and I'm hooked. I can't anticipate what will happen in this very robust world. I can just go along for the ride. This story is like a mix of Oz plus Middle Earth. I'm also feeling a little of Wind in the Willows with the talking animals.

The different aliens and how it all comes together blew my mind. Once again there are many plots going on at the same time and create a cohesive story in a way that makes so much sense. Trying to follow all of this linearly or with step by step logic will only make a person crazy. As a person who finds comfort in linear patterns, for some reason, this "fuzzy logic" works for me. Everything about this story appealed to me. Once again Ms. Koch does a marvels job with her character creation and world building. My favourite characters are the ones which come in at the end from the water planet filled with Penguin people. Hopefully those aliens will come into play more in future books.

I have no clue where this series is going. I only know that I'm a diehard fan and can't wait to read the next books. Ms. Koch is an innovative writer bringing a creative world, complex characters, quirky humour and sexy geek speak. This series is definitely for readers who enjoy tangent thoughts as well as comic book and sci-fi references. It takes a certain brand of crazy to catch all the nuances and Easter eggs in this series. This is what keeps my mind fully engaged and yearning for more. Of all the alien genre books I've read, this is the most intellectually captivating. Recommended for fantasy lovers who enjoy the classics and stay relevant with current sci-fi trends.

*provided by NetGalley



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts