Review: The Future of Sex

The Future of Sex (The Future of Sex, #1)The Future of Sex by Lexi Maxxwell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


New to me author, Lexi Maxwell hooks me in and I'm jonsing for another hit.  This story appears to be a serial format which I loathe.  Still, I loved this portion and it kind of blew my mind.  First off, I liked the world created here.  It's futuristic, capitalistic and hedonistic.  I particular enjoy the cyberpunk flavour.  Second, Chloe Shaw is a character who is deceiving at first sight.  Both the reader and characters in the book will discount her and that is our mistake. 

The character development in this book is light.  What is explored deeply is Chloe's sexual aptitude.  This is pretty impressive and I'm completely enamoured.  I want to learn more.  Each sexual test she is given, she completely scores off the charts.  It defies logic and this is the plot device which makes me wonder what is going to happen next.  All too soon, this story ends.  I rail against the cliffhanger and want to read the follow up parts.  Will they be as powerfully erotic as this first introduction?

Let's not mince words here.  This book is about sex.  Sex and how it may be in the future.  It's decadent to the point of making sex a common good.  Sex is so common the interest in the norm and even a bit of kink is too boring for most.  The essence of this future world is captured in this one sentence. 

"People will always pay for better experiences when those experiences make them harder or wetter. (loc. 119-120)

I fully agree.  To some extent, sex needs to be harder and kinkier for those who need that dopamine rush.  For me, my kinky tastes require a lot more to get me wetter than even just three years ago.  With this pattern in mind, the O corporation run by six individuals are constantly innovating and pushing the boundaries on sexual stimulation.  Just the possibilities this story opens up makes me excited and wish I could be a test subject.  It definitely appeals to the inner geek in me. 

The sex in this book is right up my alley.  I enjoyed the submission and the dominance.  It's interesting to see Chloe perform as an intuitive switch.  It's almost like she's really a service top.  She doesn't really bottom in any of the scenes.  The way the body language is described in this book as well as how Chloe reads it is impressive.  It stimulates my brain and just makes me yearn for more.  Recommended to geeky kinksters who want to go for a wild ride on the cyber side.

*provided by NetGalley




View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts