Review: The Bear's True Mate

The Bear's True Mate
Mpreg lovers, pick this up!  #bookreview @evernightpub

The Bear's True Mate by Elizabeth Monvey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Romance Review

Mpreg lovers, this is the book for you. I picked this book up because I enjoy m/m shifter books that ends up with a male getting knocked up. I thought this book was going to be more on the light side, but it is darker than expected and this works out better for me. Ms. Monvey is a new-to-me author and I'm interested in reading more from her.

Henry McBane was once happily married with another shifter. He and his wife enjoy a good life and they check off most of what is expected as a married couple. Life throws Henry a curve ball when he finds his soul mate and it is not his wife, June. Instead, it is a male bear shifter, Ajay.

Ms. Monvey does a nice job of setting up a relationship conflict that is revealed half way through the book. With the start of the book focusing on Ajay's imprisonment by a sadistic and unethical doctor, it pulls a reader in. As the story unfolds, it is easy to see this is more a character-driven book. This works out well because the star-crossed lover theme between Henry and Ajay is well thought out. The conflicts and resolution are lose-lose situations yet end up with a happily ever after. This takes skill.

Henry and Ajay are both very likeable characters. Neither one is perfect. Sometimes, people are in the right place at the wrong time. The second chance they have is fraught with unknowns and danger. The two of them together is rather sweet and provides the ray of hope which balances out the dark undercurrent of this tale.

For a layman with no medical knowledge, the mpreg situation is explained in a way that is believable for me. I'm sold! This is the humourous piece which also helps lighten the dire predicament the shifters find themselves in. After reading this book, I eagerly look forward to the next book in this series. There are questions I want answered. The hints in this book set up for what may be another dark tale. Recommended for m/m paranormal romance readers with a fetish for pregnant males.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts