Review: City of Light

City of Light Fabulous new series. Must read #bookreview @kezarthur
City of Light by Keri Arthur
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Let me count the ways I love Ms. Arthur. She is an auto-buy and an immediate read for me. This new series captures my attention starting on page one. This new world is post war torn with holes between worlds. This allows demons and others to come in and savage the remaining humans. There are more than humans left. There are shifters just as there are a few remaining super soldiers. Tiger is one of the remaining few déchets. She is a creation which many hate. She is pulled out of her isolation when she saves a little girl. No good deed goes unpunished. Tiger is pulled into an underground rebellion which she wants no part of, especially as the rebels loathe her kind and have a kill on sight motto.

The point of view in this story is very well done because it is coming from the losing side. It is unclear if the losing side is the bad or good. It is all a matter of perspective. And when the losing side is separated to focus on an individual, it becomes a lot less defined. The lines blur and Ms. Arthur excels at creating antiheroes in no win situations. Tiger is quickly becoming one of my favourite characters.

The world building is excellent as to be expected with Ms. Arthur. There is a similar feel and vibe to her world construction. There always seems to be an underdog fighting the corrupted authorities in power. There always seems to be a consortium of powerful beings pulling the strings. This design is very appealing to me and I love reading her many variations. Outcast series is one I will be eagerly following and reading every single one. Cannot wait until the next book in this series comes out. Recommended for urban fantasy readers who enjoy dystopian worlds.

*provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts