Review: Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Heart of Gold by Lilliana Rose
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Vickie is back and she is determined to become a private investigator. With her luck at solving a crime she was involved in, she convinces her husband, George it is time for her to open shop as a P.I. With obvious reservations, George requires her to learn self-defense before she can start advertising and taking on clients.

I'm mixed about Vickie. She is determined which is good. She is also a bit delusional. She firmly believes in her skills as an investigator. I am not sure if Ms. Rose is writing Vickie in this way as a tongue in cheek poking fun of bored housewives. Because Vickie comes across as a nosy busy body who is bored at home and needs a hobby. Not that there is anything wrong with this, I just can't seem to like Vickie. She rubs me the wrong way. I guess it is because Vickie truly believes she has mad skills and I see her as an amateur with dumb luck and a penchant for trouble. I do like her sidekick Ruby. Ruby is funny and a good sport even if all she wants is a man for some good times. The one I feel badly for is George. He really is a good husband and puts up with so much from his wayward wife.

The plot of this story I did enjoy. I liked the clockwork spin in the story. It is a bit light for a steampunk but definitely in line with a steampunk romance. The villain is easy to figure out from the beginning. The poor automations were the ones who lose out in this story. Well, and Ruby who doesn't get her man at the end. Vicki's harebrained sleuthing antics does make the story humourous. For those who enjoyed Nancy Drew stories in their childhood, here is a steampunk variance for grownups. Recommended for romance-mystery readers who enjoy a zing of steampunk.

*provided by NetGalley

Comments

Popular Posts