Review: The Tides of Bára

The Tides of Bára
For fantasy lovers who enjoy quests and impossible odds #bookreview @jeffekennedy
The Tides of Bára by Jeffe Kennedy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

To live without magic is inconceivable for Oria. When she is left with no choice by to flee from her homelands, she knowingly goes outside of her city walls to where the wild magic swirl and the land is dying without water. Full disclosure, I read this book out of order and it is not recommended to read this as a standalone. After reading this book, I want to go back and read the first two books to get my head on straight. Whilst it was easy to figure out where the conflicts are and at a high level what happened to Oria and Lonen, it was still a bit disorienting. Especially as I had no previous engagement with these two characters so it was a bit hard for me to warm up to them.

Oria came across as a sulky princess too delicate to do much other than complain. Granted she is physically depleted as the wild magics does render her unconscious. Her relationship with Lonen seems to be a constant struggle. Purposeful miscommunications because they are both at their lowest. It's interesting how well Ms. Kennedy brings out their flaws so that the characters can reflect and regret upon them. It's kind of nice to see characters who are flawed, know it and want to do better. Not the perfect heroes that always do no wrong. Nor the too stupid to live characters that everyone wants killed off.

This story is more about an arduous journey through wastelands, constant threat of death to Lonen's homeland. This quest is fraught with peril and the ending came a bit too fast for me. It is anti-climatic and leaves a reader feeling not too different than Oria. As if the potential is there yet never realized. Still, this isn't the last in the series so it is a build up for the next book. It should be interesting to see what will happen next for Oria and Lonen. Whilst I eagerly wait for the next book, I will be going back to read the first two so that I can be all caught up. Recommended for fantasy lovers who enjoy quests and impossible odds.

*I received an advanced copy

Comments

Popular Posts