Review: The Gunfighter's Pursuit
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Pretending to be something opposite of one's nature is going to be a difficult charade to keep up. Usually these go one of two ways. Either the person's original nature comes out or the person becomes the new persona. This could be a good or bad thing. For Emma it is a good thing. She would do anything to support her brother. Even when he gets her involved in a robbery that ended in murder. This was supposed to be a simple case of stealing from the rich and moving on. No one said anything about getting shot at or shooting someone. Lucky for Emma, she cons her way out of trouble and ends up with a sweet job she would have never been able to land due to her background.
From a feminist point of view, really, what choice did Emma have back then? Yes, in the States, women were able to find jobs that were previously limited to them. Still, based on family background and several other factors it still held women back. So Emma did the best she could in the circumstances out of her control. One would think this would be empowering. In some ways yes. In some ways no. For those who are feminist, how is it conceivable to appreciate or even enjoy a book where the main character, Emma has to submit to some asshat stranger male who decides she needs a good spanking? It's hard to explain.
First, this is a fiction story and the power struggle between Emma and Jackson is more amusing than offensive. It is a role men and women have played for centuries. Jackson is more bluster than not. Emma is more interested than not. Second, this story is erotically hawt. Forget about who tops who. The sex scenes are well done as to be expected from Ms. Blake. I am a bit biased because I tend to like the sex acts Ms. Blake provides in more graphic detail. I would not be opposed if she went even more graphic and kinky. *wink* Third, Jackson has met his match with Emma. She isn't a doormat. She is feisty. Jackson may come across heavy handed, but it is apparent he is softening to Emma. It will just take a while.
I enjoyed this story even if it is out of my comfort zone. I am not a fan of westerns. I also do not like cowboy themes. (Don't all faint from shock.) Ms. Blake overcomes my reservations with fun characters and hawk kinky sex scenes. Recommended to kinky readers who enjoy spankings with a domestic discipline flavour.
*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by Blushing Books

Comments