Review: So I Married a Sorcerer

So I Married a Sorcerer So I Married a Sorcerer by Kerrelyn Sparks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How have I missed this series? This new series from talented Ms. Sparks captures my attention and keeps me riveted from the first page to the end. Full disclosure, I did not read the book before this one and I will be buying it to read. It is possible to get caught up just reading this book as a standalone.

I love this new world. I love the concept of being embraced just as I like the different kingdoms. A feudal world with warring factions, despots, betrayal and a lost prince, what could be more interesting? Ah yes, magic and mutant powers!

Britta is a sheltered embraced witch who lived in a protective island where her father sent her. She doesn't know her history but when it comes to light, it throws her into a loop. When she is captured by her blood brother's army and then stolen by a handsome pirate, her staid life becomes too exciting. She knew this would happen because one of her sisters foretold this happening through her foresight. Britta has been bracing herself for this day and yet she is still completely unprepared.

I loved the snark and humour in this story. The characters are obstinate and contrary in fun ways. Britta and Rupert's chemistry may start out hostile but it is only because of their families. And they have to fight to define themselves as individuals, not the son and daughter of their respective feuding fathers.

This story is built on heartache and lost. The betrayals and the horrible things that happen to loved ones is heartbreaking. I love Rupert and feel so bad for what happened to his family. And his one surviving member who is found, it is just sad. Whilst this is all going on, there is an insidious enemy no one can identify or find. The goal of this enemy is clear, it isn't known if he is alone or if there are more. And what other agenda does this mysterious shifter have? He causes misunderstanding, trouble and destruction everywhere he goes.

This colour world with a star cross lover theme is recommended to all paranormal romance readers.

*provided by NetGalley 

Comments

Popular Posts