Review: Defining Human

Defining Human
Buy this book now! Arousing, exhilarating, heartbreaking and intense #bookreview #bdsm #mustread @candaceblevins 
Defining Human by Candace Blevins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ready to be thrown for a loop? Buy this book now. Read this book in the order written. Defining Human will make no sense if the first three books are not read. A few of the novellas in this world would help too, specifically Indentured Freedom. The excitement I felt waiting for this book is indescribable. When I finally received the much coveted arc, I devoured the book and proceeded to curse whilst being aroused. It is recommended to read this book in the privacy of your own home or anywhere non-public. The sex and BDSM is out of this world.

I had a hard time with this book. I guess I was expecting for more answers and for the series to hit the peak and start winding down. I was completely wrong. This book continues to build to a much anticipated explosive confrontational climax between good and evil. At this point, it is debatable who will win... good or evil. Because it is not a sure thing the good guys are going to make it. The events and actions of the characters took a hard left turn which promptly threw me out of the proverbial car and I'm left dazed, shocked and aghast. Ms. Blevins prides herself on unpredictable plots which is on full display in this book. I'm shaken to the core by some of the key characters.

First, I liked Abbott because his BDSM is the kind I like. Gavin, his second in command, is one that I fell for in the Indentured Freedom Novella. When Abbott overstepped and lost Kirsten, I wept. Their relationship strained, Kirsten moved on and played with a very yummy werewolf, Dawg in the previous book. In this one, she moves on to another man and I'm completely bewildered. How did this happen? I thought she would go with another man and instead she falls for one that I just don't get. I mean, I have a love/hate feeling about the man. The way he runs his shifters is not my cup of tea. We do learn better how the group dynamic works as Kirsten stomps all over it and messed it up. Kirsten and her new man just does not do it for me. I did not see it coming at all. It is not as if it is forced but it's like sleeping with a brother or beloved relative. Just strange. Still, Kirsten is determined.

Second, the good guys fracture when the bad guys cause a disagreement. This is just so screwed up. As in, Archduke Franz Ferdinand assassination fouled up. The alliances between all these power players was humming along so smoothly and then Kirsten is placed in the position of the Archduke and the next thing I know, allies are warring and breaking their agreements. Alliances that have been around for centuries are BROKEN because of a pivotal event. What the ever loving... When Ms. Blevins wants to burn everything to the ground and raze it, she does it with Napalm. Quite frankly, I have no idea how these groups can be healed. It all escalated so quickly and Kirsten's lack of paranormal politics understanding totally FUBAR's the situations and makes it worse.

Third, one of the allies who makes me squirm and tremble in excited fear went balls to the walls mental. I really thought this ally liked Kirsten and respected her. Not so. This person is not an anti-hero character. Instead, they are an anti-villain. What is an anti-villain? Someone who is doing good but really is more a villain. Different than anti-hero because at the end of the day, an anti-hero is supposed to have a redeeming quality. The anti-villain is on the good guy side but at the end of the day, is a sadistic sociopath who violates others with glee.

The problem with such old paranormal creatures, they lived a long life and during parts of it, they could have been evil or good. It depended on the situation. This anti-villain is held in check only due to loyalty to one person. When said person is hurt, the leash is off. My recommendation? If the leash is off the anti-villain, run and don't stop running away. And if you can, stab the person running next to you and used them as a sacrificial lamb. They can be a distraction as you escape. The violent transgressions perpetrated upon Kirsten are trauma inducing horrors. There are so many things wrong with it and yet, I'm angry and ill at ease not because of what he did. Nor am I angry at Ms. Blevins writing him this way. I'm angry because I thought the person was friends with Kirsten and I was wrong. I'm ill at ease because what they did is questionably bad based on one's view point. The anti-villain justifiably took retribution against Kirsten from their perspective. And, I have to admit, it was non-con hawt. If it had been me, I would have not only broken under the cruel onslaught but kind of enjoyed it. Why? Because now I can say it wasn't my decision and I'm submitting to the more powerful persons who make me horny.

Third, the plots and subplots! Good lord have mercy on my soul. There are so many things going on it is hard to keep it straight who is fighting whom. Hence the WWI reference. This is a complex story with depth. It's a pleasure to read because it showcases Ms. Blevin's writing growth. When I stumbled across her with Safeword Rainbow, I knew I found a special author - an author who could write realistic BDSM that is hardcore. In five years, her writing voice has matured. Her repertoire has expanded to include more genres. I am impressed with how she has hone her writing craft. All the best parts of her creativity are included in this book.

Lastly, the sex... it is out of this world. For those of us who love edgeplay, SM and basically what others would consider torture, the erotica is phenomenal. It is not for the faint of heart. The first main sex scene includes something that can only be done in paranormal books. I was over the moon with lust and feelings of submission. That is what I love about Ms. Blevin's BDSM scenes. They generate an overwhelming desire to submit in me. I whimper along and vicarious live through each of Kirsten's sex scenes. The power dynamics be it erotic exchange or non-con sexual violation are all arousing for me. Love it.

This urban fantasy is highly recommended to readers who enjoy complex world building, questionable characters and intense erotic interludes.

*I received an advanced copy.

Comments

Popular Posts