Review: The Submissive Muse

The Submissive Muse The Submissive Muse by Tiffany N. York
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. This story is not what I expected and had I know the mental issues of the two main characters I would not have picked this book to read. If I could leave this book unrated on the review site, I would. Because this story is definitely not my cup of tea. I especially did not like the BDSM mixed into this story. It once again enforces the thought that only messed up people are in the lifestyle.

Liz fights bouts of depression. In fact, she met her husband, John, when she "accidentally" slit her wrist. Their marriage is based on a fantasy version of D/s. Basically, John keeps her in line when she goes off the deep end. The story starts out intriguing with a loving husband trying to set up a way to help his wife after he dies. It is clear she will need someone to help her out of the depression he knows she will spiral into. This is sweet and I like the concept. The problem with John's plan is the man he chooses to pull Liz out of it. What kind of a husband picks a random stranger whom he has close to zero background information? Because this stranger, Devon, may have rich parents, but he is a complete mess. Putting two people who both suffer extreme depression along with other mental illnesses is a train wreck waiting to happen. Putting a trained submissive who is drifting masterless with a man who has no concept or understanding of BDSM is an explosion waiting to detonate. This is a recipe for disaster.

I can not claim this book is wrong or bad. I can actually see this relationship completely play out in real life because it does happen. It does not mean that I want to read about a complete cluster. The intent and the concept of the writer is sound. The characters and the plot devices are not my ballywick. I like dark. I like angst. I read a lot of BDSM. The way this story is written, it does not appeal to me. This contemporary erotica with BDSM elements thrown in is Lifetime movie cut off right before the house burns down.

* Review copy provided via Reading Alley for an honest review. 

Comments

Popular Posts