Review: War of Hearts

War of Hearts War of Hearts by Julia Sykes
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Two sexy dangerous men and one very young innocent woman . . . how will they corrupt her? In this new series, it features mafia men and the woman they love. Mafia genre and new adult are usually ones I avoid. This one, I gave it a try and the tale pleasantly surprised me with the daddy kink.

The characters, Marco, Joseph and Ashlyn are straightforward and uncomplicated. Ashlyn is a rather sheltered latchkey kid. When she unknowingly gets involved with a handsome bartender, Joseph, she is taken into a criminal world without consent. Full disclosure, I avoid reading new adult books because for the most part, the characters act their age and I'm way past this kind of bratty immaturity. Ashlyn throws some temper tantrums which showcase her age and need of a good spanking. Luckily for her, Marco is happy to step up and give her the much needed spankings.

To enjoy this book, forget about the mafia angle, the over-privileged brats and first world problems. Ashlyn, Joseph and Marco's daddy issues grated on me. Their lack of appreciation for what they have in life all match up to first world problems. For example, who goes to Harvard to get their MRS. in this day and age? All I can think about is the student loans. Must be nice having rich parents and lovers who can pay for every little comfort. Yes, I held little respect for Ashlyn. I do not empathize with her plight nor do I think she is that neglected. She is a delicate flower who perhaps should have let someone else have the opportunity to receive an education at Harvard. I digress.

Marco and Joseph's roles in the mafia are a bit laughable. They make several choices that belies their inexperience, lack of political understanding and youth. I could go on with all the mistakes these kids make but it is irrelevant because I think the author wrote these in on purpose to showcase their naivety and lack of wisdom.

So what made this book good and enjoyable? The erotica... specifically the sexual tension and the daddy kink. Is this realistic BDSM? What is realistic BDSM? It is all a matter of interpretation. The rope bondage was nice. Do most lifestylers cut their rope after binding their submissive? No, because good rope isn't cheap. Then again, these two guys are rolling in dirty money who like to rip expensive negligee off Ashlyn. In this rope fetish, both guys are staying within character - flagrant disregard of money.

I enjoyed the sexual chemistry between the three characters. I especially like how Marco is more the disciplinarian who takes Ashlyn in hand. The punishments are mild and yet appropriate for someone as young and inexperienced as Ashlyn. The turmoil Ashlyn goes through for being with two men at the same time and liking kinky bondage is nicely done. I liked how Ashlyn questioned herself and was worried. Her sexual journey with these two caring males is sweet and sexy. What caught me off guard was bringing in the Daddy Kink. I am a big fan of Daddy kink. Marco is a budding Daddy dom and I fell for him. His protective demeanor and his ability to hold Ashlyn accountable for her actions is right up my kink alley.

It would be interesting to see how these three have grown in another decade or so. They are starting on a delicious path with all the right attitudes and communications. This kinky erotica is recommended as a Gateway to BDSM book for readers who enjoy mafia and menage themes.

* An ARC provided for a review

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts