Review: Aliens Abroad
Aliens Abroad - Buy this book now! Recommended to fantasy readers who like eccentric snarky characters who dance to the beat of their own drum #5star #bookreview @GiniKoch
Aliens Abroad by Gini Koch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Buy this book now! This series just keeps delivering excellent stories one right after another. Ms. Koch is one of the most creative and wacky authors I have ever come across. This series is phenomenal and should be read in the order written. Jumping into the series at this point may be a bit rough and not as enjoyable because there is quite a bit to catch up on.
I knew going into this book that I had to start it in the day time. If I started it at night, I'd read til the wee hours in the morning and suffer a horrible book hangover the next day. Luckily, I spent Christmas eve enjoying this completely delectable book. It is FANTASTIC!
Kitty never gets any downtime. She is constantly on the go, protecting first the States, then Earth and finally other planets and aliens. One would think that is it. But now, she now has to fight to save the galaxy because there is a little something weird going on and if she isn't there to stop it, life as we know it goes KABOOM! No pressure, right?
No lie, this story is action packed from the get go. There is no slowing down this crazy train. It is exhausting as Kitty runs from one disaster to another. What is more frustrating is that it seems she is fixing someone else's mistakes. In essence, her job is Mr. Wolf, the fixer. She figures out what is going on and then comes up with a solution that is totally left field. Okay, I have to lie here. For me, none of her plans are left field. And all the references Kitty uses works for me because I have read, watched and listened to the same things. For nerds or geeks that enjoyed comic books, super hero cartoons and listened to a lot of "older" music, this book totally works for us. There are so many pop culture references from when I was growing up, it makes me feel like I'm part of Kitty's team. Most of these references are nods to classics from the States. I am not sure this book would translate as well to someone who didn't grow up in the 80s and 90s in the States. Since I did, this book brings me easily into the inner circle of Kitty's super team. I love it.
Ms. Koch's writing voice is so unique. Her characters are snarky and over the top at times. There is something so special about Ms. Koch's writing style that I just can't quite explain it. It has to be experienced. She creates an amazing world with richest and it does feel as if the author may be a bit ADHD. She bounces from one topic to another and the connections are lightening fast. I love that. The frenetic pace coupled with multiple meanings for actions is what pulls me into this world. It is every expanding and the loveable characters just keep on being lovable. Whilst this book is complete with a lot of saving and solution delivery, it ends on a cliff hanger. Perhaps we finally confront the dark secret in the closet. The ending of this story hits with a big bang and just as the heroes sail into the sunset, something new pounces. I can not wait for the next book in the series. This book is highly recommended to fantasy readers who like eccentric snarky characters who dance to the beat of their own drum.
*provided by NetGalley
View all my reviews

Comments