Review: Darkest Night

Darkest Night Darkest Night by Tara Thomas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Exciting new to me author, Ms. Thomas, transports me away into a world of intrigue, betrayal and brotherhood. Full disclosure, I did not read the blurb. There are two people at St. Martin's who seem to really match me up to new authors I will enjoy. I went into the story cold as Meghan from St. Martin's has yet to steer me wrong. I'm glad she sent this book to me because now I have a new author to add to my collection of must reads.

From the very first page, my attention is captured. Tilly Brock is a hard working girl in a gentleman's club. She waitresses to pay for her education. She wants to be a teacher. Going from a well to do middle class family to barely making ends meet has been a difficult adjustment during her teenage years. Now, months away from earning her degree and starting the life she's work towards, her past slams into her. Specifically, her youthful crush on the rich and charming Keaton Benedict walked into the club during a bachelor party and catches sight of her.

This reunion immediately pulled me in. Is this a white knight theme where the rich boy saves the poor girl? Will this be trite and a long drawn out "why we can't be together" romance? None of the above. Instead, Ms. Thomas brings a refreshing tale of friends reuniting and clearing up past misconceptions. There are no contrived conflicts through miscommunications. Instead, it is a new look into the past and how children take what adults say for granted.

I really liked Tilly. Her character is endearing because even through all the hardship, she is a positive person who gives her best. She may have times of petty thoughts, but overall, she's relate-able and the kind a friend that should be treasured. I also liked Keaton. He is a straight shooter who won't be pushed into a corner. His open and honest communication with Tilly is admirable and made the story so smooth for me. Their budding relationship is sweet and they are adorable together.

This story could be a simple second chance romance. It is so much more. There are dark secrets that come to light. An unknown nemesis is out to destroy Keaton and his family. The little bits of clues here and there keep it suspenseful. I'm still not sure who the villain is and I'm sure I'll be shocked when it is revealed. The plot twists and little turns here and there because of the multiple subplots keeps this story sharp and action packed. The downtime with the sensual romance between Tilly and Keaton help balance the dark.

For readers who are eagerly awaiting the next Nora Roberts book, come read Ms. Thomas's books. This romance suspense is recommended to all romance readers.

*provided by St. Martin's Press via Netgalley 

Comments

Popular Posts