Review: Cast in Deception
Cast in Deception by Michelle SagaraMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
The intricacies of politics is ever the pain in Kaylin's behind. Like a bull in a china shop, Kaylin is sure to stomp through and break all the delicate political alliances. The latest problem is once again Barrani issues which spill over to the Dragons and Kaylin is in the middle, trying to smooth it all out. It does not help that sometimes her help makes things worse.
This writing style is not for everyone. For those who are big on action and maybe not as interested in the motivations or intent behind the art of politics and back stabbing, may find this series a bit tedious and wordy. For those who enjoy seeing the difference of clashing predator cultures forced into a facade of polite civility, this series is an addictive drug. This book is definitely not to be read as a standalone. This series does need to be read in the order written to understand what is discussed and what is going on.
After thirteen books, I would have thought this world could not get more complicated and I would finally have some more answers. Who are the ancients exactly? What are the Shadow? And how is the Chosen going to help more? Instead, this series feels like a never ending one with more questions asked than answered. I would be frustrated like Kaylin but I can't be. Because, I'm so impressed with how Ms. Sagara leads me down a path riddled with sink holes and ankle breaking pot holes. The trouble Kaylin gets herself into is mind boggling. She is a trouble magnet. The reason why? Mostly because she is reactive and makes decisions by heart instead of by her head. Some of the characters in this story use a bit of both. Most of them are all led by their head. Kaylin is the one exception where she is all heart. Perhaps there may be one or two decisions that she actually thinks about the consequences of her actions, but rarely does she walk the situation all the way through. Instead, we are taken through what she feels and why she feels a certain way. We do not always know what her decision is, but we know how she feels about it and why she must go that this path.
I find this writing voice stimulating because I am not ever sure where Kaylin is going to take us. I shouldn't be surprised by now and yet I am. Or maybe I'm still befuddled as to why Kaylin makes a decision that does not necessarily make sense and yet it works. Whilst the story is written from Kaylin's point of view, I feel as though I'm one of her Hawks or one of the Dragons, trying to prevent her from creating a fifty plus car pile up crash.
Kaylin does show some growth in this latest book. She does understand the ramifications of her actions and yet she still choices to go against what common sense would dictate is the right direction. Case in point, her decision to lead the cohort to a place that is dangerous for all. Still, there a reason for her madness and what I come realize is that Kaylin is an ends justifies the means kind of character. She may argue this point but if we look at it, she makes choices that can irreparably damage friendships and alliances to help the people she thinks needs her the most. And, in some ways, Kaylin is a snob. Not an elitist snob.
Kaylin does not care about anyone who has an semblance of power or ability to navigate through the political waters. Anyone who is lost or the underdog, she feels the need to fight for their cause. And this probably why I like Kaylin so much. She is still an idealist who walks the talk. She will do everything she can to right an injustice and no one will step in her way. Because no one else is defending those who are persecuted, she is using her unique position and inexplicable power to do good. May Kaylin never change because then she would lose what makes her so special.
This story is highly recommended to those who enjoy fantasy and fighting for the underdog.
*provided by Netgalley
View all my reviews

Comments