Review: Lady


Tabby becomes more than just a lady.  Read this book now! #bookreview #bdsm @candaceblevins
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Lady starts off right after Slave leaves off. Tabby is no longer the dark Queen's treasured little One. As Queen Mab's slave, Tabby's only decision is to obey her Mistress. Tabby loved the safety of being in Mab's arms and more importantly, her role in life. When it is discovered she should have never been a slave and Mab sends her back into her family's arms, it breaks Tabby's heart.

This is a difficult book for me. Some may think that maybe the amount of sex is too much in one reading. It isn't. I loved the sex. The kink in here is fantastic. My appetite for darkish kink increased and continues to increase with Ms. Blevins. My issue with the book isn't with the slave Blue either. Quite frankly, I loved how Blue is enslaved and all the hard lessons he learns. My issue is with forcing Tabby into a role she does not want and then making her become a dominant in ways that she isn't comfortable with.

When I read this section in the Radish app, I had issues because I felt that it was unfair to force Tabby to be a whored out slave in private and in the public be so damn strong. Basically, every man's dream, right? A Lady in public and a whore in the bedroom with no one the wiser? I get that Tabby is a masochist and loves to please. I love this about her. I get that to be with Mab, she needs to be strong in her own ways and a partner. The extreme dichotomy of what Mab wants is what aggravated me to no end. Because it feels like Tabby needs to be a split personality. It is too easy to blur the lines. Specifically, I think it is too much to ask Tabby to be a lady and the responsibility could crush her if she isn't up to it.

Someone pointed out to me, maybe it is because I am upset Tabby is being forced to be a switch. I think this is the key. Because for me, I'm a switch out of necessity and I don't like it at times. So perhaps I feel badly for Tabby because I understand the difficult of what is being asked of her and at times, I find it exhausting. As a person who is innately a perfectionist and wanting to please, to have to forcefully make the choices/decisions that may ultimately disappoint or be against the one you love the most is in a word - devastating. It feels as if Tabby is being set up for failure and one of my pet peeves is to set someone up for failure.

In this revised version, I see the difference that appease my sensitivity to these hang ups. More time is spent developing Tabby and empowering her to grow into her Ladyship. It is subtle and I can't exactly point out the passage that are different. I can affirm that I felt better about Tabby's forced growth from an owned object to a freewoman. And from a slave to a Lady. I am eagerly looking forward to the next book. I can't wait to see more of Tabby's sweet suffering under Mab's tenderly cruel whims. I can't wait to see how Blue's love for Tabby is resolved because he can't have her. Tabby is Mab's! This dark erotica is highly recommended to kinky readers who love redemption themes and coming of age themes.

*I received an advanced copy 

Comments

Popular Posts