Review: Queen Takes Rook



Queen Takes Rook by Joely Sue Burkhart
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When it comes to erotic vampires, I believe this series is now my all time favourite. Between Shara's lethal powers and her snark, I am in love with her. It isn't just her Blood who want her. Powerful women can not help but desire her too. She calls others to her because she is the one everyone has been praying for ... someone who can bring justice back into their world. And she will payback in ruthless retribution. Each book in this series just gets better and better. I am not sure how Ms. Burkhart writes these complex plots with creative world building and characters with so much depth ... so quickly. She writes these books, has it edited so quick and within a blink of the eye, it is published!

I believe Ms. Burkhart's super power is her written words. This story pulls me in immediately and I'm loving every word. I try to slow down and savour every deliciously steamy scene. I revel in Shara's power when she fights back. Her ability to use her Blood's best assets and her commitment to not lie is impressive. She's a character of worth and she is not ashamed of what she loves and enjoys.

From a female prospective, I love how sex is made honest and acceptable. It isn't something dirty that a woman should never admit to. I love how periods are celebrated as a sign of power and fertility because it should be. I love the underlying messages of how power never comes without sacrifice. And Shara's attitude about never asking someone to do what she wouldn't do herself resonates so strongly with me. After reading this story, I feel like I need to don on leather, pick up a sword and start training my team to be warriors. I want to roar and I am pumped to go into battle. Shara is an inspirational character.

I love this passage:

I take what I want. Even Blood other queens would use as weapons, or Blood other queens would kill outright, or simply reject because they’re too dangerous.”...“I take Blood because I want to fuck them. So I probably fuck. A lot. And it gets messy, bloody, and yeah, dangerous.”
He leaned in and inhaled deeply, his mouth on my throat. “You’re obsessed with fucking monsters, aren’t you, my queen?”


Oh my lord. I am melting here. Her love for males who are tossed aside and views as monsters is heart warming. Make no mistakes, her monsters are sexy hawt. Dangerous and complete with rough sex, sharp claws, talons, barbs and teeth. Her sex is my kind of sex. Dark and primal and raw. I love it. Even with the amount of delicious sex, there is a strong plot and this story moves along rapidly. We are getting near the end because the next book is rumored to be the last in this series. I can't wait to read the next book because based on the first four, it will be marvelous.

This erotic novel is highly recommended to kinky as fuck readers who celebrate sex, life and truths.

*I received an advanced copy

Comments

Popular Posts