Review: Moonlight And Midtown

Moonlight And Midtown Moonlight And Midtown by Christina Bauer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

New to me author Ms. Bauer intrigues me. I generally avoid YA because in the past ten years, it tends to have such a toxic reader/reviewer/author environment. It saddens me because sometimes, there are gems like this little story that I would pass up and miss. This novella is intriguing as it hints of a tie ins to fairy tales I've enjoyed reading.

In this one, the focus is on Bryar Rose who is based off the sleeping beauty template. I have not read the first book in this series and now I'm thinking of going back to find it. It is interesting to learn about how fae, shifter and witches intermingle in this world. Lucky Bryar is an intersection of all three and that makes for some challenging times.

The characters in this story are young and yet they behave older than I would have thought. Specifically, Bryar's mate Knox seems to be pretty mature. It is nice to see young adults who genuinely like each other. They work together and protect each other.

This story is also fun in that it isn't serious. There are a couple of serious moments, but there are also some very funny ones. I loved the fae sheep. That part was hilarious and I can't stop giggling about it. I think they stole the show because not only are they adorable but also vicious little buggers. Recommended for readers who enjoy young adult genre with snarky inner wolf voices.

*provided by Netgalley

Comments

Popular Posts