Review: Song of Blood & Stone



Song of Blood & Stone by L. Penelope
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An interesting blend of a sociopolitical fantasy combined with star-crossed lovers, the first in the Earthsinger Chronicles shows highs and lows of a torn society. I have to admit, I have seen this story for a while and it didn't really appeal to me. When I accidentally accepted the book for review, I dragged my feet to read it. It wasn't just the cover that made me avoid it as I am not much influenced by covers. I can say the cover did nothing for me and probably would have been better without seeing it. I bring this up because the cover stuck out for me and not in a good way. I can't quite figure out why I didn't like it. Regardless, due to a looming deadline, I powered through this story. I have mixed feelings about this story. It tackles on some real world problems with a rosy coloured glasses viewpoint which grated me the wrong way. It also shows some unvarnished truths that I am not sure readers want to see.

I liked Jasminda. She is a woman who is all alone with her immediate family out of the picture. Her grandfather on the other hand is doing everything he can to erase her existence. Because she is nothing more than a repulsive half-breed. Unfortunately for Jasminda, her physical traits makes her an outcast in Elsira where she's born. She also has magic which brings fear in the minds of the Elsirans who have been at war with one of their neighbors for as long as they can remember.

Jasminda as a character is lovely. She is doing the best she can and she is fighting an uphill battle because the truth of it is that any child who has a mixed heritage is discriminated against by not one but both sides. It is a sad truth that I've seen as a child over 35 years ago. One would think in this day and age, with more interbreeding, it would be less, but there are still many pockets which this is not the case. Watching Jasminda be treated with suspicion from those she's grown up with and be treated with hatred by others who resemble her is heartbreaking. Jasminda is the one who carries this story and without her, it would have been painful to read.

Jasminda's good heart is what brings Jack into her life. Let no good deed go unpunished. Yes, that is a little harsh but in some ways, Jack is what throws her life into turmoil. His idealistic ideas without any political understand is his downfall. As a jaded person, watching Jack's actions makes me cringe. His social justice warrior is admirable if naive.

What really killed me in this story is the refugees. This is hot top as refugees streaming into many different countries are not being treated well for various reasons. What is portrayed in this book is a bit of a bleeding heart perspective. What is sad to see is how refugees are being treated by both the countries they are running from and ones they are trying to find sanctuaries. Refugees are pawns. That is what they are and just like pawns, they will be used to make a point and used for sacrifice. Did the refugee strain the finances of their sanctuary country? Yes. Did they try to talk and find ways communicate and integrate with their sanctuary country? No. Instead, they used powers which scared people and they generated more bitter resentment through their anger. Are they at fault? Not 100%. The sanctuary country created a camp filled with military. How is this helping? Soldiers who have been fighting against these people are probably not the best to help them integrate because they only see the refugees as the enemy. The politicians of Elsira are fools. They think sending the refugees back would make the True Father honour a peace treaty. There are so many conflicting emotions conjured by this messed up situation.

Whilst this is going on, the history of how the two countries came to be is slowly revealed. Within the third snippet of Jasminda's dream sequences, I'm already guessing the ending and I feel a terrible foreboding. I'm not surprised by turn of events at the end and I am glad to see the happily ever after does not exactly happen. This is a well thought out story with some very slow parts, some hateful vitriol and sweet unexpected kindness. Recommended for fantasy readers who enjoy turmoil between seemingly different people.

*provided by Netgalley 

Comments

Popular Posts