Review: Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts Ace of Hearts by Chantal Fernando
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

To a child, learning that your father is not your biological father can be devastating. For Erin, it all makes sense to her now. For all these years, she felt like she didn't fit in ... that something was missing. Turns out, it's because her perfect middle class family with the white picket fence does not include the father that donated his DNA to her. This is a shock and Erin goes into a bit of a spiral.

I'm mixed about this book. I liked how the motorcycle club men were written in this story. They may be sluts and bang anything with a hole, but they had a certain code and they followed it. They were not mean about it. They were not political correct about it. From a plot perspective and how it was developed, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed Erin's initial contact into the MC world. Specifically her guts probably not thought out confrontation with a man who has no clue about her. The romance which develops between Erin and one of her father's men is sweet too. What bugged me was Erin.

This is probably why I avoid reading books which could technically be categorized as New Adult. I can't stand some of the actions of the female. Erin is young. She is 21 and still a bit drama prone. Her responses are typical of when men think of females - whiny, over dramatic and emotional. Erin gives female a bad rap. I probably would have slapped Erin up side the head and asked her to focus and talk through. Her immature running away w/o all the pieces of information is the easy contrived conflict which has me rolling my eyes. Whilst I did like some things about Erin, for the most part, I found her to be shallow and lacking. Ace on the other hand, he is only six or seven years older and his maturity shows through. I'd recommend he take Erin in hand and give her a good spanking and time out. She needs it. Lastly, I am disappointed in her considering the man who loved and raised her as "not her father". From all accounts, Brock did a great job supporting the family and treating her like his own. Because she didn't even know she wasn't his. And yet, like a dagger to the gut then dragged up to his heart, she denies his existence as her father because of a simple biological donation. This is pretty self centered. Whilst Erin does make nice with her parental units - all three, her actions can not be erased. Erin's whole attitude dragged the story down for me.

The erotic tension between Erin and Ace is nicely done. The chemistry is definitely there and Ms. Fernando does an excellent job in teasing and describing. Taking this story past learning about her biological dad and getting a lover is nice. Seeing Erin pushing forward with her original plans prior to meeting her bio dad and finding a lover made this story better for me. It is also nice to see that Erin can have friends who are both females and males alike. The additional subplots to the story were not necessary but they did add another layer of richness to this story which I enjoyed. Ms. Fernando may be a new to me author but she is not a one and done. I enjoyed her writing style and look forward to reading more of her books. I never really liked motorcycle club themes, but the world she built is in a handful of authors I would recommend. This new adult romance is recommended for romance readers who enjoy motorcycle themes and bad boys who are so good.

*provided by Edelweiss 

Comments

Popular Posts