Review: A Fine Line

A Fine Line A Fine Line by Sue Horsford
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

On a lark, I picked up this book to try out some new BDSM erotica. I'm mixed about this story. Let's start with what I enjoyed. I liked the characters. I enjoyed the tangled twisted plot and I loved the BDSM erotica.

First, from a character building, I liked our main characters. Faye Austin is a woman who has always been in the shadow of her sister. She is treated like the proverbial red headed stepchild. Except she is not a stepchild. She is the first born and it seems, statuesque. The start of the story is a horrific discovery about her husband with many pictures of her sister, Ginny. This is heartbreaking for Faye as she's always come in second to her sister. Even with her husband? How can this be? The competition between the two sisters is sad. Because it is clear this divisiveness is developed by their parents to the detriment of all. As adults, the two sisters are still not able to overcome it.

Gabriel Scott is a character I love and hate. I love his kinky dom side. I like how he goes into dom mode. I especially enjoy his brutal honesty. What I don't like is his poaching on another man's wife.

Second, this story is an all too often occurring situation I see play out in real life. Perhaps I am biased because I am in a BDSM group which I witnessed first hand several seemingly happy marriages dissolve due to similar reasons that plague Faye and her forgettable husband. The twists and turns of this sexual awakening is difficult for me. On one hand, I love that Faye is exploring her own strength and realizing her own self identity. On the other hand, I do not like her discovery is only through the intimacy of another man.

Third, the BDSM is delightful. I am not sure if new to me author Ms. Horsford is in the lifestyle or she researched it. The depictions of the kinky scenes are nicely done and realistic. It is pretty close to what a new to BDSM person would feel, think and see with a more experienced partner. Watching Faye struggle between submission and sweet yielding is a delight. The level of play is a low intensity which is good for beginners. Full disclosure, I've been told I am hardcore so my BDSM meter might be a bit unbalanced. Regardless, it is still sweet and lovely to see Faye interacting with Gabriel.

So what didn't I like? I had a hard time with the lack of communication between Faye and her husband. Cheating on him is a foregone conclusion. Hiding it the way she did whilst I understood, I can not condone. It is sad. What is sadder is all the facts coming to light near the end as the story wraps up quickly and effectively. The collateral damage is high in some sense yet it is better for all. The bittersweet ending works well for me. Then again, I've been told I tend to like bitter endings... being Chinese and all. This erotic romance is recommended to readers who appreciate how things can all fall apart, to only be rebuilt stronger and better.

*I received a copy for review

Comments

Popular Posts