Review: Archangel's Prophecy
Archangel's Prophecy by Nalini SinghMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Buy this book now! Why did I wait so long to read this arc? I lost interest in this series a few books ago. This latest book will pull a reader back in. This could be read as a standalone. I recommend reading the first few books first to understand this world. For readers who have left this series, this is the perfect one to dive back into the series. I now want to go back and read all the books I missed in between.
Elena is the only human to angel ascension in any angel's memory. Or is she? Ms. Singh throws a curveball in this story. It made my ears perk up and my eyes widen. This is a meaty story with several subplots simultaneously stimulating the reader. Elena is determined to protect her niece and what she learns about her brother in law is surprising. It is debatable if this is good or bad. What it does show is that everyone makes mistakes. It is only the ones who grow up that learn from their mistakes. In this storyline, those who continued to make mistakes paid a heavy price. When I think about what happened to these abusive rapist, I cannot help but feel their price is justified. Since I tend to lean more towards the Hammurabi's Code, this suits my blood thirsty tastes.
Whilst a mystery abounds, Elena's angel status seems to be in danger. Specifically she is changing and no one can figure out why. There is one who is giving her hints but anyone who knows the history behind the name Cassandra knows this does not bode well for Elena. I really enjoy how Ms. Singh takes different mythos and blends it so well into this series. The world is multifaceted and appeals to readers who enjoy ancient history coming to life in a fresh interpretation. This familiar feel yet new experience draws readers back to Ms. Singh.
As a fan of Ms. Singh, I am impressed with her increasingly complex writing style. She stimulates the mind whilst still providing that emotional element to connect and engage a reader. Her romance is the sexy lubricate to slides all these elements together into a magical read. One note of caution, this book does end in a doozy of a cliffhanger. Even though this is a long book that I voraciously devoured, the end came too quick and left me in a shock. I may have railed a bit at ms. Singh. I can't wait for the next book.
This paranormal fantasy is highly recommended to romance readers who enjoy a complex world with a twist.
*provided by Berkley via NetGalley
Thanks to Berkley for this little excerpt!
Excerpt from ARCHANGEL’S PROPHECY
By Nalini Singh
Illium turned in a direction that would take them to the
Catskills if they kept on going.
Sweeping closer to him, she said, “You just want to fly?”
Hair rippling in the quiet but cutting wind, he twisted
down in a complicated fall before flying back up to her side. She laughed at
his showing off. That was Illium. An angel of violent
power who had a heart that might almost be mortal. And, these days, she could
appreciate his tricks again. Not a single angel in the city had been ready to
witness his acrobatics in the immediate aftermath of the day he’d crashed out
of the sky.
Elena would never forget her screaming fear.
To his credit, Illium had flown with absolute discretion
for months, letting the memory dull and fade.
When he returned to her side today, his face was flushed,
the gold of his eyes rich. “Sky’s too beautiful to shut ourselves away in a
club.”
“Just don’t forget I’m not as fast as you. Also, I’m
currently lame.”
Illium lifted one cupped hand close to his shoulder, the
other moving back and forth . . . and she realized he was
playing a tiny violin in response to her morose tone.
“Crossbow, Bluebell.” Narrowed eyes. “Remember the
crossbow.”
He dived, his wicked laughter floating up on the night air.
Lips twitching, Elena continued to glide, letting the air currents sweep her
along with cold but gentle hands. Illium, meanwhile, flew circles around
her—but he never went far, always close enough to halt her descent should she
tumble.
She landed a number of times to rest her wings, once in an
isolated park whispering and dark. A luminescent insect appeared then
disappeared from sight before she could truly see it, an earthbound star. The
ghostly owl sitting on a tree branch watched her with eyes even more luminous.
A sigh deep in her mind, an old, old
presence restless in Sleep.
The hairs rose on her arms.
Then Illium shot them both up into the sky again, and
together, they flew far beyond the diamond-bright skyline of the city and over
the sleeping homes of ordinary people who lived in a world of vampires and
angels, blood and immortality.
Another rest stop for Elena.
Another throb of pain from the cut on her forearm.
Another watchful owl, this one landing on Illium’s shoulder
without his knowledge. Ashwini had told her not to be afraid of the owls, so
Elena ignored the goose bumps and said, Hello, with her
mind. A good night to fly.
A vein began to throb at her temple.
The answer came a long time later, after they were in the
air again, the glow of the sinkhole visible from the distance.
It has been an eon since I flew.
Posted
by arrangement with Berkley, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin
Random House Company. Copyright © Nalini Singh, 2018.

Comments