Review: Her Alpha Viking

Her Alpha Viking Her Alpha Viking by Sheryl Nantus
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Week 3 of Shameless 2018 brings me another new author, Sheryl Nantus. I should have guessed the main plot device in this story if I paid attention to the book series name. Alas, I went in cold without even reading the blurb because I like to be taken by surprise.

I enjoyed this story. It definitely pulled me in to figure out what was going on and to learn more about this Norse mythos world. I have never been a huge fan of Norse mythology when compared to Greek. It is growing on me and Ms. Nantus does paint Norse gods with many shades of grey.

The characters in this story are easy to understand and likeable. Erik Harrison is a man plagued with guilt, remorse and rage. Tying this into being a survivor of losing battle makes Erik more believable. What Erik went through, is pretty close to what a friend of mine experienced. Ms. Nantus either has a friend/family who has gone through this horrible times or she did extensive research. It breaks my heart because the pain leaps off the page of how our soldiers suffer both during and after their time in war.

The story starts off in a war torn scene where Brenna Lund finds Erik and his dying team. This initial contact is the catalyst for Brenna's down fall as a Valkyrie. The journey Brenna and Erik take brings them closer together. Whilst the romance part of this is understandable for this book to sell, I'm more interested in the camaraderie between wounded warriors who survive. When Brenna and Erik hook up with a band of survivors taking a road trip to educate children, adults and politicians alike, I'm impressed. Is this something that happens in real life? I hope so. I think it helps educate those of us who benefit from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

The ending comes all too quickly and wraps up in a nice tidy conclusion. This is a happily ever after where good triumphs over the not so good. This paranormal romance is recommended to readers who enjoy Norse mythology with a chance at Valhalla.

Comments

Popular Posts