Review: Unspeakable

Unspeakable Unspeakable by Nina Croft
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked up this series when I went the Shameless2018. The first book's review explains my first meeting with Ms. Croft in person. I luckily spent more time with her on Sunday when we played the games Spoons. This time with the authors was a lot of fun for me. I learned more about Ms. Croft and liked her even more. Now that I'm hooked on her books, I'll be keeping my eye out for them and trying to read them all!

In this second book, which I bought as soon as I finished the first book, starting out fast and the pace kept moving. Sadie Brooks is one of the children raised by the British covert team for the "good of the nation". She turned her back on her handlers when she learned her twin sister was killed by them in an experimental study. She followed Jake, their group appointed leader. They were going to get to the bottom of where they came from and why their are forces working against them. Specifically, she was going to bring down the secret society bent on either controlling or destroying them.

I liked how this story started from from the opposing side - the Conclave. Ethan Weiland is a legacy member as he follows his father's footsteps. He isn't thrilled with being in the group but faced with death or life, he chooses to stay within this secretive group that thinks they know more and better than anyone else. When he learns of rogue operations within his organization, he seeks to end it. This leads him to a sexy and fascinating Sadie who is bent on taking down his entire organization.

This story is now starting to feel like a bit of the Illuminati mixed in with X-files. I like it! The dynamic between Sadie and Ethan is fun to watch too. The two of them are so sure they are right in their cause yet they question because what they are seeing does not match with what they find acceptable. Their interactions are amusing. The romance between them is light, since this is a new adult book. Quite honestly, even if the romance element was removed out of this book, I think it would have been just as good if not better. I reveled in the intrigue and specifically the hints of time travel. This story now reminds me of one of my favourite shows... Fringe. I'm now completely hooked into this series and want to find out the next. The conclusion comes all too quickly and entices a reader into reading the next book immediately. Luckily, I found this series late so I did not have to wait between books too long. This speculative fiction is recommended to readers who enjoy time traveling elements as well as secret societies controlling the world order like a puppet master. 

Comments

Popular Posts