Review: Echo in Time
Echo in Time by Lindsey FairleighMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
New to me author, Ms. Fairleigh catches me off guard and wows me with this complex world. For those who like time travel and enjoyed movies such as Loopers or 12 Monkeys, this harrowing story will be a great ride.
First, I'm not a huge fan not Egyptian mythology. I'm aware of it only due to History classes under duress in high school. If I had someone like Ms. Fairleigh bring the Egyptian mythology to life, I probably would have been more enamoured. I'm very impressed with the details of the reinterpretation of the gods in this story. It takes quite the mind to map this all out.
Second, time travel is a touchy subject because there are two prevailing theories - changing the past is not possible or changing it will alter the time continuum. It is a conundrum which most authors tend to lightly gloss over, especially if they are not hardcore sci-fi writers. I'm not sure where Ms. Fairleigh falls when it comes to hardcore sci-fi, but her time travel theories are interesting and I'm buying into it.
Third, this is a character progression development story. I love these kinds because we start out with raw potential and then see how the character grows. These quests and this first book has a pretty intense epic quest are difficult and fraught with peril. Whilst there are gods and "godlike" powers Ms. Fairleigh pirouettes along the fine line of ex deus machina.
Finally, I liked the characters. Lex is spunky and she handles the unknown quite well. I'm impressed with her determination. She handles each new information and processes it quickly. This urban fantasy is recommended for readers who enjoy Egyptian mythos and a spunky female lead.

Comments