Review: Infinitely Human
Infinitely Human by Candace BlevinsMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Be careful of the friends you keep, because you might just become like them. In this latest addition to this perfectly blended urban fantasy kinky erotica, Kirsten is showing she is a forced to be reckoned with. To understand Kirsten's evolution into one to be feared, it is best to read this series from the beginning. Kirsten's initial persona and how she reiterates she is only human and not a bad ass is now a thing of the past. In this one, Kirsten owns her ruthlessness and not all the males she is with likes this change. I am on the fence with if I like the change.
I struggled with this review because my thoughts on the book are all over the place. From a plot movement, this story adds another piece to complete the bigger picture. Introducing a few new characters of questionable alliances adds to the chaos. This helps keep the tension of the upcoming big good versus evil showdown alive. The messy complications of political ties broken and damaged brings me down. Instead of seeing stronger cross group alliances, it seems the bonds are continuing to fray at a rapid rate. This bothers me because as a therapist, I would expect Kirsten to be able to help bring the groups together and heal. Instead, she's the thorn causing the infection. I am not enamoured with this side of Kirsten.
What I did enjoy is Cora's pack coming together. Having her run her own pack and creating a safe haven for those who elected not to be part of Randall's pack is heartwarming. Learning more about some of the characters as well as meeting new ones, specifically a powerful female Vamp kept my interest. Of course, the kinky erotic scenes are panty wetting goodness.
Generally I like a woman who is growing and coming into her own. I'm not quite sure why Kirsten's change is bothering me more. Her complicated relationship with Abbott and Nathan is at the crux of my issues. I was not exactly a fan of Nathan and I definitely do not like the rules of how his pack works. I did grow to admire him. I never understood why Kirsten and Nathan came together. I felt they were wrong for each other so why am I so upset that they broke up? Why am I so upset with her conflicts with Abbott? I think it stems from the view point that they loved her so much and sacrificed to help her. They came through for her at each point and wanted to protect her. Were they over protective? Hell yes. They are old and powerful males. She is human and young, regardless of her maturity. When they needed her to come through for them, she did not. She let them down and I think this is my biggest issue with the Kirsten I see now.
When these characters are created so well and they feel like friends to you, it is a difficult time when they break up. It is hard to not choose a side. Kirsten is definitely within her rights to do everything she did to show her strength to be taken seriously. This I do not question. Perhaps I am still hung up on how the last book ended with solid relationships torn apart with a series of thoughtless acts with good intentions. Kirsten is not perfect and I'm holding her up to be perfect. It is said that female readers are much harder on female characters than male ones who make relationship missteps.
My issues and hang ups aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the wild ride. The pace of the story kept me riveted. Ms. Blevins' story telling keeps becoming better and better. Her stories are like my favourite single malt scotch... powerful, spicy and potent. This story comes with several hard kicks to the gut yet tempered with delicious loving. Kirsten coming together with another male is a twist I hoped for and deliriously enjoyed. The complexities of this book keep my mind on constant active mode trying to figure out what will happen next. This urban fantasy is highly recommended to readers who enjoy a solid plot layered with emotion, intrigue, betrayal and bonds.
*I received an advanced copy
View all my reviews

Comments