Review: Medusa's Heart

Medusa's Heart Medusa's Heart by Joey W. Hill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book took me several years to get through it to my chagrin. I received this book a while back for a review. It took me several times to get into it. For some reason, I just didn't feel the pull. This is strange because usually for a Ms. Hill book, I'm riveted and sucked in from page one.

I am a lover of Greek Mythology too. I always felt Medusa received a raw deal. She was turned because of her spurning of a god intent on taking her. How is this fair? In this reinterpretation, Ms. Hill brings some interesting perspective. I liked the Medusa in this story even if it took me about 50% into the book before I actually started to get into the book. Why was it so difficult? I have a few ideas. First, let's start with what I liked.

I liked John Pierce. He is an admirable hero with a White Knight Syndrome. Usually, I avoid White Knight stories because the White Knight usually has a huge chip on their shoulder and just wants to rescue a damsel in distress to rescue and be known for it. Usually these kind of males are hopeless in relationships and only good at finding a damsel and moving on to another. John is something else. He is focused and knows what he wants. He wants a woman of his dreams and when offered the opportunity to be with her, he grabs it with both hands and holds dearly to it. John's patience and dedication is impressive.

Medusa is a female who is understandable. She is a metaphor of women who have been victimized and believe it was because of their beauty that caused it to happen. She's a sad representation of victims who blame themselves and end up isolating themselves because of one act of despicable violence. It is sad because the female then does everything to make herself look unappealing and builds up figurative walls to keep others out. Even though Medusa is now powerful, she still is at heart a wounded girl who is backed up in a corner and will strike out at anything that she feels is a threat.

John's interactions with Medusa and his coaxing is what brings her out of her shell and to see things differently. A femi-nazi's point of view could be that this story once again underscores a woman needs a man to make her whole. Another perspective is that a person who is loved and given time can heal and become whole again. It matters not if the saviour is a male or female. It is someone who empathizes and gives the just the right amount of encouragement for the victim to metamorphose into a survivor. A survivor who uses her experience to make a difference and become stronger. This is what I love about this this story. Medusa's eyes are opened and sees herself not as a monstrosity holding onto her hurts but as a warrior defending other helpless women in their time of need.

The story becomes interesting once John and Medusa come to this century and into this world. They enter a supernatural circus run by a Vampire Domme. The switch is so drastic I felt a bit of whiplash. Still, I loved the overt dominance and submission in effect once the circus becomes a safe haven for Medusa. The erotic sexiness makes me all melty and horny.

The last half of the book moves fast with action, sex and uber alphas commanding attention. I loved it. For those who couldn't get through the first third or half of the book, the last half makes it all worth. So what was it that made this story odd?

I think it is because I couldn't quite grasp if this was a contemporary romance or a supernatural. I couldn't find my frame of reference for the longest time. I felt like I was running in the same spot and I didn't know why we were stalled with Medusa and John. Whilst I understand the need to build trust between Medusa and John and the need for her back story and his, it was so bloody slow. If the island time could have been condensed and shorted to 1/3, maybe I would haven't have taken 3 years to read this book. After reading it, I want to read about the other characters. I'm intrigued and I really want to learn more about "Mad" Merlin.

This paranormal romance is recommended to readers who enjoy Greek mythology and unusual erotic scenes.

*provided by BDSM Book Reviews 

Comments

Popular Posts