Review: The Rose

The Rose The Rose by Tiffany Reisz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Is there anything Ms. Reisz can not write? I am blown away with this latest book by talents Ms. Reisz. Her writing is complex, intertwined with mythology and so thought provoking. About a few chapters into this book, I finally realize this is connected to the book, The Red. I confess that I never read the blurbs for Ms. Reisz's books. I go in totally cold and just enjoy the ride. This ride is indescribable and needs to be experienced first hand.

As a lover of Greek mythology, this story hit all of my happy buttons. The erotica based on fantasies come to life in a virtual reality-esque manner is my dream come true. Where is this special rose cup of Eros? I would love to take a little sip and be transported into one of my darker fantasies. Ms. Reisz is an author for a specific group of readers. Readers who like their boundaries pushed. Readers who get off on intellectual stimulation. Readers who enjoy layering of stories upon myths. This is more than a fairy-tale/greek mythology retold. This is a web of interconnected Greek mythology reinterpreted and experienced through another set of eyes. The concept is mind blowing and yet it is something Ms. Reisz excels in showcasing. This is not the first time she's taken an existing story and have it viewed through and experienced from her protagonist's eyes. This writing also reminds me of Nora in her Original Sinners series. Nora takes the story of Ester from the bible and makes it erotic. Granted, Greek stores tend to already have a hint of eroticism through their capture/prey/slavery/rape themes.


In this one, there is a blending of several of my favourite Greek stories into a new version of Eros. Eros's love story was one of my favourites. To see an "after Psyche" romance is innovative, creative and so very erotic.

The characters in this story are fantastic. I loved Lia and August. Their interactions are realistic and heart warming. Both characters are multi-layered and intriguing. I admire Lia and what she has done with her side hobby. August's character... a man of mystery is not as mysterious as Lia thinks. For me, it was pretty clear who August really was and it only added to my enjoyment of this story.

I highly recommend this erotic novel. It is unique and riveting from start to finish.

Arc received from Netgalley

View all my reviews

Comments

carol said…
Just wanted to say, currently a buddy read on a GR group you are familiar with :)

Be delighted if you post on there too, any chance?

carol

Popular Posts