Review: Unhuman Acts

Unhuman Acts Unhuman Acts by Candace Blevins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The calm before the storm is broken. The buildup for the big showdown between good and evil takes place in this final book in this series. All hell has broken loose and it does not look as if the good guys are going to win. This book is brimming with tragedy, tears and torture. For a jaded reader whose read most permutations of epic battles between good and evil, Ms. Blevins manages to bring a fresh, dare I say, Eastern perspective. I loved this book. For the most part, I rarely feel emotion other than rage and anger. Sadness is a hard earned emotion to pull from me because of how I've been raised. Perhaps this is why when a book can generate sadness and make my heart hurt, I tend to like it better. Like a drug addict chasing their next high, I'm a tragedy junkie searching for the next scenario that makes me gasp in pain and be unable to process the amount of loss. I'm so moved, I can't cry because I'm reeling from the emotional gut punch and sneaky left hook to my temple.

This is not to scare of readers who fear angst and sadness. This story is oddly well balance with the intertwining light and joy through the grief and anger. The compare and contrast between great loss and incredible gain is intense and pulls me into the story. For those who are paradoxical and want both realism and fantasy at the same time, Ms. Blevins accomplishes this with such ease that when the story concludes, a reader wants to dive right back into this amazing world she's created. The ability to blend different culture's mythos and show how certain gods and goddess go by different names depending on the country/ethnic group is impressive. It shows the amount of research and thought Ms. Blevins puts into how she creates her world. It also adds layers and subtext to explain some of the frustrating behaviours of these powerful supernatural males.

All but one of the plots and subplots in this series is nicely tied up by the end of the book. It is strongly suggested to read all the previous books in the series prior to reading this one to understand the full magnitude of the war. Even after reading all the previous books and finishing this one, I felt this last book was nice and long and yet too short. It left me wanting more. What happens after this happily ever after: Kristen's existent is finally explained and yet there are still pieces left unexplored. Her growth and development continues in her epic quest and yet it feels she is just starting anew. Because there is a specific recurring theme in this story… death and rebirth.

This is a concept of rebirth that is left out of most Western cultures is because of pseudo Christian leanings. If we take a look at the heart of most religions, a central concept is about the cycle of life. It may not be rebirth of the same individual but it deals with death in a way that is meant to help the survivors. This tale embodies surviving loss in such a beautiful way that it makes me rethink on what I want to happen to my body when I die. The honour, respect and legacy left behind for all the fallen heroes brings peace and joy in the face of great sorrow. This is what I mean by Ms. Blevin's ability to blend opposing emotions and transforming it into something that feels good.

This book is not all about battle, death and gloom. I tend to focus on such themes. There is sex in this book which snuck in unexpectedly and shot me to the moon in ecstasy. With such a serious plot development, I did not expect Kirsten to be able to find her happily ever with a mate. I'm pleasantly surprised by the resolution even if I'm not sure I like who she ends up with. Reservations aside, the sexual interlude is an act reaffirming life, love and joy. It is transcendental and described with such passion that I wish I could have enjoyed the spillage of la petite mort from Kirsten. The kinky sex works well into the storyline and makes sense to those who have a more than average knowledge of Fae and their unreserved enjoyment of sexual expression.

There is so much to this story that I must read it again and savour each favourite passage over and over again. So many to choose from and so little time. Ms. Blevins creates a magical world stealing me away just like the
Erlkönig kidnaps children. Except I'm a willing captive who never wants to return to reality. I highly recommend this urban fantasy to readers who enjoy high fantasy, star crossed lovers and meddling gods.

*I received an advanced copy 

Comments

Popular Posts